✧Chapter 1✧

All should have been asleep at this time in this group home in Athlone, Ireland. It was not too packed, there were only four children and their caretaker occupying the two-story house, and it was past curfew. The sun had set hours ago and the moon was almost fully ascended into the clear night sky preparing to take it's place with the stars. Most of the house was still and calm all lights being out, all rooms except for one. On the top floor, on the complete end of the corridor, was a room that still had it's lights on and it flooded into the hallway from the small crevice under the door. It was not uncommon for this room in particular to be active at late hours, most of the residents had gotten used to it. However it had to be stopped so that Carrie, the caretaker, could finally sleep in peace instead of worrying for the boy.

Carrie slowly turned the brass knob, pushing the door open ever so gently and slowly. Only to reveal a thirteen-year-old boy with messy brown hair that was going in every which direction, with pale skin that was mostly covered with a blue over-seized hoodie and some jeans instead of the blue and green jammies that he should have gotten into about an hour or so ago. His intense blue eyes were focused on the page he was scribbling down his music on, a way he kept his mind running to avoid falling asleep.

Sean heard his door open and turned his body over, so he could face who it was. To no surprise he found it was Carrie. She was a kind older lady in her late forties, she had ash blond hair that was beginning to get several noticeable greys, hazel eyes that were behind thick glasses, slightly tanned skin and was average height standing at about a 5'8. She had only recently become Sean's care taker three months ago and they were just now starting to get used to one and other. She closed the door gently behind her knowing the rest of the children, who were younger than Sean, were already asleep. She walked towards the wooden chair that was neatly pushed into his study desk which had his binders of completed work set atop neatly as well as an assortment of pens and pencils all stowed away into a neon green pencil holder. She pulled the chair out and turned it so she was facing Sean who was on the floor, for some reason he believed it brought out his creativity when he wrote music laying down instead of seated at his desk. Just another small detail to make him all the more eccentric.

"Sean what are you doing up at this hour? Curfew had passed an hour ago." Carrie asked in a gentle and hushed tone. Sean sighed placing his music sheets away into the special small sleeve he had specifically for his music and sketches.

"I fear sleeping, though you have already been informed of that in my papers." he replied simply. Sean was intelligent and he knew it. He'd use his wit to get out of any situation he could. He knew however, that this was not one of those situations but it did not mean that he couldn't try.

"Indeed it is, that's why you see Doctor Ayers on Tuesday's, Sean. I know you do not completely trust me but I want nothing more than to help you. Sean, I cannot do that without knowing what it is you fear in you sleep. Is it your dreams?" Carrie guessed looking at the boy for his reaction.

"You know I prefer Jack, so please address me as Jack." he said avoiding the previous question and estimate. The answer was no, he was not afraid of his dreams because you cannot be afraid of something that does not exist. Jack never had dreams, only the most excruciatingly lucid nightmares.

"I see. Well, Jack, you have to get up early for school tomorrow morning and you need your rest. Please take your pills and pass me your art sleeve." Carrie instructed gently. Jack knew there was no point in retaliating since he did not want to fight with yet another caretaker. He did as told handing her the sleeve carefully before walking over to his bed looking down at his jammies on the bed. Knowing Carrie would not leave before he took his pills, he got two of the blue tablets out of the small bottle that only held several more. He grabbed his water bottle, everyone in the group home had one with their designated colour, Jack's of course being a bright green. He gulped down the two tablets much to Carrie's liking. She let herself out with a goodnight and sweet dreams allowing Jack to finally change into his comfy, cotton night clothes. He got under his warm blue blanket, he had a high-end mattress in hopes that it would compel him to sleep more often, it didn't. He had water pillows as well, granted they made his neck feel glorious they did not succeed in their main objective which was to get him to sleep sounder.