✧Chapter 4✧

Mark grunted, never really having felt pain before. His powers and super-human state usually protected him from them, so the odd warmth and sting were more than unwelcome. He placed a protective hand on the now tender skin of the forming bruise slowly forcing himself to stand. The Dream Guardian was breathing heavily, and slowly, examining his foe who just seemed very delighted. Mark would normally wipe that grin off Dark's face in a flash, but now he couldn't exactly just charge. If he was barely able to fly or even able to escape this dream bubble. He certainly could not fight Dark. Well, not fight and win at least. 

Dark began to clap, getting Mark out of his thoughts and earning a slight glare. The clap was sarcastically slow, a mocking clap that echoed around in the bubble Mark didn't have the power to escape. Which was pathetic for a Dream Guardian, to say the least, some may even say disgraceful to their identities. Dark was well aware of this, as a Dream entity himself, and would be sure to keep this for later use when needed. That is assuming his current plan failed, though Dark doubted that for even a second. His plan was strong, well thought out, in action for years while Mark was obliviously watching from the sidelines. Dark believed he had all the cards he needed, and Mark was able to see that. The Dream Guardian wouldn't admit it vocally, but seeing Dark so confident and not having his powers had him shaking internally.

"I'm surprised. You somehow managed to survive for more than a couple of hours." Dark mused, breaking the lingering silence as the two seemed to just examine each other silently.
"Oh, why thank you Dark. How gracious of you to praise me for it. It truly took all I had." Mark replied sarcastically as he added a mocking bow. Dark gave a chastising shake of the head as he flicked his arm out and masses of shadow mass rippled through cracks in the ground below Mark's feet. Slowly moving the earth beneath him as the ground began to shake beneath them.

Mark was quick to dodge one of them 'skimming' his leg, the shadows were oddly sharp but there wasn't much that could be done now. Mark slid but lost his balance rolling but stopping himself as he winced and looked to his bleeding shin. Not bad injuries but just new annoyances for Mark that was slowing him down, irksome. Mark was about to get down but a hand was pressing against his throat and he just fell back down as Dark strangled him. Mark made another grunt and gasped for air as he tried forcing Dark off. Then the world began to shake and he looked around and down to himself seeing him start to fade. Dark and Mark looked to each other both confused, a momentary truce.

Meanwhile,...

Jack had returned home from school. Shrugging off his leather jacket lazily just letting it fall onto the couch and flicked his shoes off to opposing corners of the room. He looked to the pull out couch which he somehow hadn't noticed before, even though he had been the one to pull it out. He saw Mark sleeping and twitching, only rolling his eyes that he was having a nightmare. Claiming to be his guardian yet having a nightmare...that's not how his Mark was, his saviour of nightmares. Jack walked around planing on going to the kitchen but slipped on some blood. That seemed to be coming from under the covers and Jack's eyes widened as he ran over and shook the male.

"Mark? Mark! Come on, I cannot afford to have you die on my property." Jack said, giving a sigh of relief seeing Mark breathing and slowly coming to. The scent of copper was thick in the air, and Jack was concerned that even if Mark woke up he would bleed out. So he took some initiative, a rare thing for him to do.

He pulled the covers off Mark and saw the male's leg his eyes widened. So maybe Mark under exaggerated when he believed Dark had nicked him. It was a very deep cut, in Jack's opinion, and it was a very...bloody cut. That's all Jack could really focus on, all the blood. He was a fighter, a trouble-maker and yeah he's given a few good split lips and scratches but blood in this sense made him all queasy. But Jack had to repress this as he went to get first aid but was stopped by a grip on his wrist.