Chapter 2

Winter's POV

I entered Aquacorde Town, excitement fizzing within me. I slowed down when I saw a good friend of mine named Kenzie (markxjack) sitting at a table near a café. She looked up and smiled, motioning me to come over. Her Eevee, who was cleverly nicknamed Piper, yipped happily and wagged her bushy tail. She was sitting on Kenzie's lap, her small brown paws on the table. "Hey, Kenzie!" I greeted her, sitting in the seat across from my friend. "Hi," Kenzie replied in a cheerful tone. Kenzie was a girl with brown hair—which had blue streaks in it—and oddly colored eyes (one blue and one brown) with a hoodie that had Septiceye Sam on it, which was from a popular guy on YouTube named Jacksepticeye. "Nice hoodie," I complimented her. "Thanks," Kenzie nodded before adding with a chuckle, "you too." I looked around. "Did that assistant already come?" "Nah, I've been waiting for a while," Kenzie shrugged her shoulders. "I guess she still hasn't arrived." "I suppose not," I agreed. "It's only nine. But I don't think it'll be long before—." "Sorry I'm late!" We both looked to see a woman with wavy blue hair approach us. She had thin red lips and small red glasses. She was holding a capsule and wore a lab coat. "Oh! No problem! Hi!" I waved. Kenzie greeted the woman as well, and Piper leaped from her lap to sniff the woman's legs. Piper took a couple of pawsteps back, then yipped, "Eevee!" and rubbed against her. "Come back, Piper," Kenzie ordered kindly. Piper looked up with big brown eyes, then nodded and leaped back onto Kenzie's lap. She still watched the woman with a welcoming gaze. "Anyway," the woman carried on, approaching me. "I'm Karen, Professor Sycamore's assistant. I'm here to give you your starter, Miss... umm..." "Winter," I said to her. "Ah, yes!" Karen nodded embarrassingly. "Winter! I apologize. Here are the three Poké Balls you can choose from." She gave me the capsule and I pressed a small red button, opening it. There were three Poké Balls, each having a sticker above the release button determining their types. "That's Fennekin," Karen said, pointing at the middle one. "That's Froakie." She pointed at the right one. "And that's Chespin." She pointed at the left one. "Go on now, darling! Take your time!" I examined the balls, then took the middle one. "I pick Fennekin!" "Good choice, dear!" Karen smiled approvingly. She took the capsule and gave me a Pokédex. She told me how it worked, then bid us farewell and left. I looked at my Poké Ball, then pressed the release button. A bright light came out of the ball, and a Fennekin appeared on the table. She looked at me with amber eyes. "Hi, I'm Winter, your new trainer!" I greeted. I motioned towards Kenzie and Piper. "This is my friend, Kenzie, and her Eevee, Piper!" "Hello!" Kenzie said to the fox Pokémon. "Fenn!" my Fennekin yipped with a wag of her thick tail. "Eevee!" Piper squeaked. She got up on the table and her and Fennekin began talking to each other. "Eevee Eevee! Eve! Eve! Eve!" "Fennekin! Kin!" They then both nodded to each other. Fennekin looked up at me when I said, "Alright, what should your name be?" "Hmm..." Kenzie murmured. It was quiet for a second, then I thought of something. "Amber!" "Fenn! Fennekin!" my Fennekin, now named Amber, smiled, huffing a small flame. I petted my Pokémon's fur, then looked up when Kenzie smiled. "Wanna battle?" she asked eagerly. "Eevee!" Piper chirped. I looked at Amber, the back at Kenzie. I smiled determinedly. "Sure."