Chapter 6

Winter's POV

I looked at the boy. He had messy brown hair and wore a blue hoodie with short sleeves. He had a Poké Ball in his hand. "Uh, sure," I replied, then smiled. I could use Dusty! "Fennekin!" Amber yipped. I looked at her. "Actually, Amber, I was wanting to use Dusty. B-but you can cheer for us!" Amber looked upset, then nodded and hopped off my back. She landed next to Charlie and they both backed away—along with Kenzie—so we could have room for our battle. I took a couple of steps away from the youngster, then got out a Poké Ball. "Go, Dusty!" I shouted, pressing the release button. A bright light shot out of the ball, and a Scatterbug appeared before me. "Scatterbug!" he cried out. Dusty blinked his rectangular eyes and glared at the youngster. "Alright," the boy smiled gleefully, taking out his Poké Ball. "Go, Zigzagoon!" He released the brown raccoon Pokémon. I checked my Pokédex, scanned it, then checked its moves. Tackle, Growl, and Tail Whip. "Alright, I'll attack first!" the youngster smirked. "Use Tackle!" Zigzagoon growled and raced towards Dusty head-on. "Dodge it!" I said. Dusty nodded and leaped to the side, avoiding the Tackle attack. Zigzagoon turned to face my Scatterbug. "Tackle!" I ordered. Dusty crawled quickly towards Zigzagoon and tackled it. The tiny raccoon Pokémon shook its whole zigzag body. It faced Dusty again angrily. "Use Tackle, again!" the youngster ordered. His Zigzagoon raced towards Dusty in a zigzag pattern. "String Shot!" I said. Dusty cried out, "Scatterbug!" and shot a white sticky substance from his mouth. It wrapped around Zigzagoon's front paws, making it trip and fall over. The Zigzagoon rolled onto its back and tried to break free of the string. When he did, though, some of it got into his fur and his chin. Zigzagoon spat with disgust and got up, trying to get the string off—his Speed stat lowering harshly. "Oh no! Use Growl!" the youngster cried out, now less confident than he was before. Zigzagoon nodded and let out a fearsome snarl, lowering Dusty's Attack stat. "Tackle!" I ordered. Dusty crawled and tackled Zigzagoon, triumph gleaming in his eyes when he landed a critical hit. But now, Dusty was in close range of the tiny raccoon Pokémon. "Tackle!" the youngster smirked. His Pokémon nodded and tackled Dusty, sending him backwards. My Scatterbug landed on his back and got up again, his body aching. I frowned. Were we going to lose this? I shook my head and said, "Use String Shot!" Dusty obeyed and shot the substance at the Zigzagoon again. It wrap around its muzzle. "Mmph!" Zigzagoon muffled as it clawed vigorously at the string. "Now Tackle!" I ordered. Dusty landed a direct hit, causing Zigzagoon to fall over and faint. We had won. "Yeah, all right!" I cheered, running over to Dusty. I kneeled down and petted his head, congratulating him, then took out his Poké Ball and recalled him. "You did good, Zigzagoon," the youngster sighed, recalling his Pokémon. "Get a good rest." He approached me and said, "Thank you for the battle. I enjoyed it. Now I'm sure that I want to keep practicing!" "I'm sure you will," I nodded, "because I am, too!" "Maybe we can battle again sometime," the boy suggested. "Yeah, maybe," I agreed. "Well, bye! My name's Austin, by the way," the youngster—named Austin—smiled before waving us goodbye and leaving. "Great job!" Kenzie congratulated me, running over to hug me. "Thanks!" I nodded, appreciating the hug. "Fenn!" Amber yipped crawling up my body and onto my shoulder. She licked my cheek. "Kin!" I stroked Amber's fur and giggled. "Maybe you can be in the next battle," I told her. My Fennekin wagged her tail excitedly. "Eve!" Piper chirped. Charlie walked over to all of us. "That was great!" he grinned. "Thanks," I looked away with a smile. Then, I faced my two companions. "Now, let's go!" We all nodded and entered the Santalune Forest, finally.