Chapter 3

Winter's POV

Kenzie and I stood across from each other on the cobblestone path. Amber and Piper were staring at each other as well, a snarl appearing on Amber's face. I used my Pokédex to check her moves. Scratch, Tail Whip, and Ember, I thought, putting the piece of technology away. Pretty good. "Alright! You can use your move first!" Kenzie offered. "Eve!" Piper nodded, agreeing with her trainer. "Thanks!" I smiled before ordering, "Use Scratch!" Amber raced towards Piper, her paws glowing bright white. She was just about to hit the Eevee before Kenzie said to her Pokémon, "Dodge it." Piper gracefully leaped upwards, avoiding Amber's Scratch attack. Piper landed about a foot away from my Fennekin. Wow, Piper's fast! "Use Tackle!" Kenzie ordered. Piper yipped and jumped at Amber. Before Amber could dodge, Kenzie's Eevee crashed into her, sending her backwards. Amber fell onto her side and got up, staggering a little. I gasped. "Are you alright, Amber?" I asked warily. My Fennekin looked at me and nodded, then faced Piper. "G-good! Use Ember!" I said. Amber inhaled, then exhaled, blowing bits of flames and ashes at Piper. The Normal type was hit, yelping with pain as the bits and pieces hit against her brown fur. When the move ended, Piper shook her head furiously. "You okay?" Kenzie asked. Piper nodded and faced Amber. "Alright. Use Tackle, again!" Piper raced towards Amber at full-speed. "Use Scratch!" I ordered, more confident. Amber's paw glowed again, then she slashed at Piper. Both Tackle and Scratch collided, and the two Pokémon were face-to-face. "Growl!" Kenzie said. Piper nodded and let out a fierce snarl, making Amber wary and lowering her Attack stat. "Now Tackle!" Piper slammed into Amber one more time. My Fennekin staggered a little, then fell over and fainted. I lost my first battle. Internally, I was truly upset. But externally, I was strangely calm. I faced Kenzie. "You fight well," I complimented her. Piper shook her head and yipped happily, then let Kenzie pick her up. Kenzie placed Piper on her shoulder and smiled. "Thanks! Good job!" "Yeah, that was a good battle." We both looked to see a boy—about a year or so older than us—watching with a deep blue gaze.