deux // first words

deux

My father splutter in shock, and said, almost outraged

"Your grace, I can assure you that while Margaery is several years older than your youngest son, she will serve faithfully as a wife." While my father was speaking to the King I glanced around the room, eyes darting around, trying to find the boy that the king proposed I marry, searching the balcony, where and my eyes fell upon the beautiful princess Myrcella stood.

My eyes scanned the platform on which the King, Queen and crown prince stood until my gaze fell upon him, he stood behind his mother father and brother, somewhat in the background, looking disinterested in the whole affair that was happening, picking at the hem of his golden robes, - the same gold of his hair - perhaps he was unaware that everyone in the court was talking about him. My train of thought was cut off by my father grabbing my arm and pulling me forwards, in front of the King.

"Lady Kaylin, at the age of 15 I assume you remain innocent, untarnished?" Lord Stark said kindly.

I stepped forwards slightly, nodding shyly and said,

"Of- of course my lord." He nodded and then bent down to speak to King Robert. The room was nearly silent for some time, although you could hear the muffled whispers of not only the King and his hand but many of the Lords and Ladies, sitting behind us. I saw the king nod gently at Lord Eddard and then he turned to me, scanning up and down quickly.

"Upon discussion we have decided that Kaylin, of House Tyrell, and my youngest son, Tommen, of House Baratheon, are to wed once they come of age." I glanced over to Tommen, whose head shot up quickly as soon as he heard his name mentioned, and saw him looking around the room until he found me, once he did, he looked me up and down and smirked. I looked down at my feet, grasping the cloth of my dress before turning to look at my brother and sister.

Loras looked proud, his baby sister was to be married to a prince. He smiled gently at me. Then, I turned to look at Margaery. I could almost see the steam coming from her ears, that's how mad she was. Instead of marrying a prince like she had hoped, she was pushed aside, and her younger sister was now engaged to the boy she had hoped to marry.

After the congregation in the throne room, Lord Stark asked a servant to show both Margaery and I to our adjacent chambers in the South Tower. Margaery and I walked up the hundreds of Limestone steps in silence as we were escorted to our chambers, Once I arrived, I pushed open the mahogany door and gazed around there vast room, taking in every detail from the hearth to the open window with a magnificent view of Blackwater bay. I walked directly over to my bed and laid in silence.

I lay there contemplating my upcoming marriage with the prince, I prayed to the Seven that he was nothing like his brother, but what if he was, the odds are that he is. I mean, he is a prince, spoilt by his mother used to getting exactly what he wanted. I saw the way his eyes scanned me in the throne room, the way he smirked, confident in himself. Being a handsome prince he was adored by many of the ladies in court, just like his brother.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After about an hour of sitting in silence thinking about my new life in King's Landing, there was a knock on my door. I stood to go and open it but only a moment after my father's' head appeared from behind the door. He shut it behind him and walked over to me, grabbing both my hands. He led me over to the bed and we both took a seat. He looked at his hands for a while before saying;

"My darling, how are you going? Enjoying your new chambers" He asked gently. I shrugged my shoulders and looked to him. He fidgeted for a while, acting nervous until I prompted him, he nodded his head, looking serious suddenly.

"I know that you probably don't want to hear this, but you need to convince both prince Tommen and his father that he should marry your sister." I looked from my hands, up at his face. I tried to pull my hands away but he grasped me firmly, fingers squeezing my small ones. I looked at him, shocked. Once I managed to pull my hands away from his, I stood up and paced the room, angry for some unknown reason, I hadn't wanted to marry the prince in the first place, but now that he was being snatched from me before we'd even met, I resented my fathers actions

"And why is it that you are convinced that Marge should be married to the prince? Is it because she is prettier, older, more responsible than me?" I said, outraged, father had always prefered marge over me, I understood that she was the eldest, but he was the second born son, he had little to no power, she could instead be married to Robb Stark, or Lancel Lannister, someone with real power.

"The king himself said that Margaery is too old for Tommen and that he wanted me to marry him, so why don't you?"

"My darling, you don't understand," My father sighed,

"As the eldest daughter of the lord of a powerful house, Margaery is entitled to marry a highborn, history dictates that this is a prince." He said.

"But father Marge is seven years older than Tommen, don't you think that that's not how a lady should wed, to be married to a man younger than you. Even grandmother was shocked" I exclaimed.

"Kaylin, you are my daughter and 15 is not old enough to be making your own decisions, you will obey me and that is final." He ordered. After then he swiftly left the room, dark cloak swinging in his wake. I was angry, fuming, I don't understand, Marge can marry any other highborn, and the king himself promised me to his son. King Robert doesn't seem like someone that is persuaded easily, especially by a young girl.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next morning, just before I was supposed to leave for breakfast, where I was supposed to sway the king against my engagement, my chamber door swung open and there stood Prince Tommen, standing nearly a head taller than me, blond hair and beautiful green eyes, my betrothed. He was wearing a gorgeous golden cape with intricately made red patterns. Behind him stood a handmaiden, carrying a tray full of delicious looking food.

He bowed before saying

"My lady, my mother and father have told me to bring you breakfast in order for us to get to know each other better, you are excused from breakfast in the main dining hall." He said, once again looking disinterested. Promptly after, the handmaiden placed the tray on my dining table, curtsied and scurried off, pulling the door shut silently behind her.

He pulled me over the table, I resisted, walking to the door.

"My prince, as kind as this gesture is, my father has decided that you will not be marrying me, instead you get to wed my beautiful sister, Lady Margaery, despite the King's ruling that we should marry, so you are excused." I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm. I opened the door and gestured for him to leave.