cinq

:: Kaylin ::

:: Kaylin ::

"Kaylin, my dear, I do hope you remember our agreement." Father smiled grimly. His hand was place on my upper arm, as the seconds passed, his grip became tighter and tighter, his fingernails scratching through my silken dress.

"Father I tried, I did, but Tommen, he refused." At this he grew angry, ripping through my dress, piercing my skin. His face began to redden, slowly growing frustrated. "You - you cannot be princess, it must be Margaery, she is the eldest daughter and female heir, she holds the more powerful position in the realm and you know it yourself. Persuade the new King, that your sister would be a more suitable wife and I will marry you to any high lord you so desire." He bargained.

As soon as he said this, my first thought was Robb Stark, and then Lancel Lannister. Of course, Renly Baratheon also came to my mind, not only for my benefit, but for Loras' as well, I knew, of course that my elder brother was in love with the youngest Baratheon. After a short while I nodded silently, agreeing, the new King, King Joffrey I, by the voice of rumours he would do anything to keep my elder sister in court.

Relieved, father let go of my arm, he pardoned me and I left his chambers, I ran to the grand throne room, hoping to find the King. I entered from the left side of the hall, standing on the balcony, I watched as King Joffrey, sitting proudly on top of the Iron Throne. I watched as noble Lords and Ladies asked favours of the new King. I stood for a while, observing him gaze over the lesser people, enjoying watching them beg for him, I knew that in order for me to be noticed by him, I must be confident.

It was then that I began my descent into the centre of the throne room, when the King stood up, his mother standing behind him, touching his shoulder gently. "My lords and Ladies of the Red Keep, it pains me to reveal that Lord Eddard Stark, Hand of the King and Warden of the North, has been accused of attempting to take the throne from me, and such forth will be trialed for treason." The young King said. Many in the room gasped - me included - and turned to Lady Sansa, who sat on an beautiful chair to the left of the throne, looking sullen and expressionless, silent tears rolling down her cheeks.

I scurried down the stairs and stood on the lower two steps of the platform on which the throne sat and stood silently, soon enough, Lady Sansa came to my side and wrapped her fragile arms around me, we had only spoken once, but I knew that she had no friends in the Capitol, now that her father was imprisoned, she had no one, no one at all. "Please Kaylin, help me." She begged, in a quiet whisper. I nodded, and rubbed her back softly. She pulled away, sniffled slightly and exited the throne room through the door in the back.

King Joffrey still stood in front of the throne, head tilted proudly. I slowly walked up the stairs and he noticed my presence. "Ahh my lady Kaylin, what is it I can assist you with?" He asked loudly, gazing at me, staring me up and down. I curtsied and said, "My King, I ask a great favour of you. My family wishes for you to undo my betrothal to your brother, Prince Tommen, and instead - Instead engage him to my elder sister Margaery."

:: Kaylin ::

"My King, I ask a great favour of you. My family wishes for you to undo my betrothal to your brother, Prince Tommen, and instead - Instead engage him to my elder sister Margaery."

"Why is it that, why would you not want to marry a prince?" Lord Tywin spoke up, gazing over at me curiously. I know what he meant, I was giving up the chance to marry one of the most powerful people in the Seven Kingdoms and letting my sister marry him instead. Father's promise was too tempting, give up Tommen and I could marry any Lord I wished, I could rule over my own Kingdom instead of living in the King's shadow for the rest of my life.

"I believe, along with my father and grandmother, that my sister would be more suited to marrying the prince as she is the eldest daughter." I said curtly, not displaying any emotion. The King nodded, and said,

"I shall have to consult with my small counsel and i can promise you nothing, but if this is truly what you wish for, then I shall try my best to grant you this." He said proudly. I replied with a small nod and said simply, "It is."

I curtsied and stepped away, turning my head to the door, to which I walked over to and exited the room. I scurried up many flights of stairs, avoiding all of the servants and high lords along the way. I reached my father's chambers, Gallan, my father's personal guard was standing at the door, I nodded once at him and he opened the door, "Lord Mace, Lady Kaylin is here to see you." He announced pompously. I looked around my father's chambers as I entered and saw him sitting at the mahogany desk in the corner.

I turned around to see Gallan pulling the door shut, as soon as I heard the familiar 'click' of the lock I said; "It's done, I talked to the king and he is discussing my engagement with his counsellors." I said, looking at the floor, my fingers were fidgeting with the hem of my sleeve. "See, sweetling, I knew you could do it." He said, "So, which young lord do you chose?" He asked, bouncing on his feet. "I'll have to think about it." I said and walked out the door.