The Outcasts

Alcarin's eyes darted left and right across the busy street as he scanned for any potential danger. Although they welcomed Kyle with open arms, their hospitality did not extend to Joella. Everyone reached for the closest weapons at the first sight of her, itching for an excuse to draw them.

However, Alcarin noticed something strange about Joella. Even amidst the most menacing of stares, her expression of wonder and cheerful humming did not change. Before he could dwell on the matter for too long, trouble found them.

A small group had walked up to them and blocked their path. The sudden stop diverted Joella's attention towards the two goblins and the elf that were in front of them.

By the looks of it, the goblins were unarmed. The elf however, rested his palm on a sword hilt that had the symbol of his house engraved in gold.

"Lord Vargus, how unexpected of you to-"

"Silence you traitorous half breed" The elf interrupted Alcarin. "Generations of my family did not shed their blood in both wars just to watch a cursed desecrate our sanctuary!"

The bustling streets were eerily quiet all of the sudden. The commotion had caught everyone's attention. "Humans do not belong in our city!" the elf said as he looked at Joella with burning rage. The two goblins at his side, soon joined by the surrounding people shouted in agreement.

"Need I remind you, all of you, that she is here under the permission and the protection of the queen" Alcarin announced in an attempt to avoid a confrontation but his hand firmly gripped his sword. "Step aside and let us pass"

The announcement discouraged most of the onlookers but the elf remained rooted to his cause and unsheathed his sword. "If I am to be executed for ridding this world from another human, then so be it"

As Alcarin was about to do the same, he felt a hand on his shoulder, stopping him.

"Alcarin, am I allowed to defend myself?" asked Joella.

"Well, yes. As a guest of the queen, you are granted a few limited rights of a citizen of Elismaire but I assure you, I can handle this situation. You need not worry or exert yourself"

Alcarin turned back to the elf but to his surprise, Joella stepped forward. Her eyes showed she was calm and rational but he saw a hint of frustration amidst it.

The elf's eyes went wild with rage. "You dare?! You will pay for your insolence!" The elf cried and swung his sword at her. With a swift motion, Joella side stepped the attack and grabbed the sword by the hilt.

"What are you-" Before the elf could complete his sentence, Joella activated the e.m.p function on her wrist watch and a surge of electricity ran through the sword in to the elf, dropping him, twitching on the floor.

Alcarin was caught up in this bizarre unexpected turn of events. He was sure she could not use magic.

"W-what sort of dark magic is this?" the elf groaned.

"Not magic, it's called science, bitch!"

The two goblins looked in horror at the elf on the floor and turned to the human. Joella readied herself for the attack but unknown to her, Alcarin had unsheathed his sword just an inch and dared them to attack with a cold stare.

Knowing they have no chance, the goblins grabbed their accomplice and disappeared into the crowd. As the rest of eyes were still on the human, Alcarin stepped forward.

"Let this be clear, The dragon has claimed her as his sister and the queen has allowed her in our city as a guest. Any offense against her will be considered as a crime against the queen herself"