Unexpected Allies

Everyone in the hall couldn't comprehend what was happening. Before them was human who had transformed into what resembled a dragon.

A dozen elf and Minotaur warriors flooded the great hall and surrounded Kyle the moment his roar echoed throughout Elismaire.

"Warriors stand down" ordered the queen.

The general turned to the queen. "My queen, clearly this is an illusion. The humans have found ways to cast illusions"

"Do not be so foolish Falkur. You would dare challenge a dragon?! He would shred your warriors to pieces" replied lady Emyth.

"Then let that be proof, to see if he is a true dragon" the elf challenged. "Warriors, attack!"

As soon as Falkur's words fell on Kyle's ears something clicked inside. His inner beast's predatory instincts kicked in full force. He stayed still, like a tiger just before pouncing on its prey.

A snarl escaped his mouth. This was no longer just about saving their lives; the puny elf had dared to challenge a dragon. Kyle felt himself gladly accepting the challenge.

A Minotaur led the attack and brought down his massive broadsword on Kyle's head. His human instincts reacted first, raising his forearm in defence.

The bone shattering sword struck with full force kicking up a cloud of dust. When the dust settled the result surprised everyone in the dead silent hall.

The scales covering Kyle's skin proved to be quite indestructible. The sword was stopped dead on its tracks with a large dent on its blade. The force of the swing rippled through Kyle's body and shattered the floor where it left his feet.

Kyle growled menacingly as his beast's instincts took over. With his free hand he jabbed his claws into the Minotaur's metal armour, piercing it with ease. Kyle lifted the Minotaur up over him and threw him into the crowd.

The remaining warriors became more hesitant seeing how easily a Minotaur fell. They decided to use their numbers to their advantage and enclosed Kyle in a circle.

Once fully surrounded, three elves charged with drawn swords. Behind him, two of the elves raised their swords to strike while the third elf, in front of him slashed his sword across. With a lash of his tail he sent the two behind hurtling across the hall. At the same instant Kyle caught the sword of the elf in front of him in one hand and squeezed it till it shattered like glass. The elf froze on the spot in fear shaking his head between his shattered sword and Kyle's enraged face.

Kyle kicked the elf in the stomach with enough force to send him crashing all the way near the queen.

Everyone in the hall watched in horror as the rest of the soldiers, Elf after elf, Minotaur after Minotaur fell until none were left standing.

With no one left, Kyle's eyes fell on the general. Only one thought entered Kyle's mind. 'Kill!' with a great leap he aimed to close the distance between him and the elf. The general flinched and managed only to reach for his sword.

The Minotaur that held Joella realized that he was the only soldier left. Throwing his prisoner aside, the Minotaur leapt with its axe to intercept Kyle mid-air. Just when they were about to clash, in a blur of a motion another figure appeared in between them curled up into a ball.

"Enough!" It was the half-blood elf. With a quick spell he spread his limbs and raised two barriers to stop them. The Minotaur slammed into the barrier and dropped to the floor. Kyle spread his wings like a  parachute and glided down next to the elf.

Much like the crowd, Joella couldn't believe her eyes. She looked at her brother but her eyes saw the beast that killed Brad. Confusion conflicted against her thoughts. Is this a monster or her brother?