Chapter 2

Immediately, there were shouts of protest from each Olympian, even from the ones who didn't like me.

Finally, Zeus thundered, "ENOUGH!"

The Olympians settled back in their thrones and Poseidon looked at me with tears in his eyes.

"Why, Percy? Why would you want to die?," he asked, his voice cracking on the word. I stared at my feet as tears made my vision blurry.

"I have no purpose in life. My family is dead. All of them. The only ones left, besides you, Dad, are Tyson, who's always at the Cyclopes' forges, Grover, who's always busy as Lord of the Wild, and Thalia, who's always with the Hunt.," I replied, my voice shaking. As I mentioned the Hunt, Zeus got a gleam in his eye and looked at Artemis. They seemed to be having an argument in their heads, one that Artemis didn't seem happy about.

They exchanged glares for what seemed like hours, but was probably just a few minutes, before Artemis gave a curt nod, still sending murderous glares towards her father. Zeus turned back to me with a victorious smirk on his face.

"Perseus," he began, making me flinch at my name, "what if I gave you a reason to live?"

I stared at him, confused, and asked, "What reason?"

"You will receive partial immortality so that you can only die in battle and become the guardian of the Hunt. You will protect both of my daughters, as well as the Hunters, from harm.," he said. My eyes widened in surprise and I looked at Artemis, along with the other gods.

"I do not believe we need a guardian, but...," she hesitated, "If Father insists, then Percy is the only worthy male."

I bowed to her in thanks before turning back to Zeus.

"I accept. And I swear on the River Styx that I will protect Artemis and the Hunters with my life.," I vowed. My father looked at me with pride and Zeus with gratitude.

"Now, then, Percy, I am also giving you my blessing. You will have control over the winds and lightning, much like Jason.," he said, speaking softly when he mentioned Jason. I winced slightly as I nodded my head.

"Thank you, Lord Zeus.," I said. Then, Zeus blasted me in the chest with a golden beam of light. I felt as though time slowed around me as the immortality took effect. When the light faded, Hades spoke.

"Nephew, I also wish to give you my blessing. You will be able to shadow travel and control shadows."

I was, once again, surprised, but nodded my head. Hades blasted me with a black beam.

After that beam faded, I bowed and said, "Thank you, Uncle."

He smiled and nodded.

Next, Lady Hestia approached me, shyly, and I bowed.

"Percy? I was wondering. Would you like to be my champion?," she asked. I smiled a genuine smile.

"It would be an honor, Lady Hestia.," I replied. She smiled and touched my forehead. I was immediately filled with warmth and an emotion I haven't felt in a week. Hope.

Lady Hestia smiled sadly, as if sensing my thoughts, and said, "You may now control fire by simply thinking of flames appearing in your palm and summon home-cooked meals."

I tested it and was amazed as small flames danced across my palm. I extinguished the flames and bowed again in thanks.

She smiled and returned to her place by the hearth as Hermes and Apollo simultaneously shouted, "Oh! Me next!"

Everyone gave them strange looks, but I nodded anyway.

Hermes shot a white beam at me and said, "You now have the stealth of a thief!"

I barely had enough time to say "Thank you" before Apollo shot me with a yellow beam, while wearing a goofy grin and saying, "You are no longer terrible at archery and I also gave you considerable music knowledge and the ability to summon and play any instrument you want!"

I stared at him.

"Why would I need that?," I asked, incredulously. He shrugged and went back to his throne.

Artemis shook at her head at her twin before standing and saying, "I suppose I should bless you, as well."

I nodded and Artemis blasted me with a silver beam.

"I further improved your archery skills and gave you the same skills as my hunters.," she told me.

I bowed and said, "Thank you, milady."

She smirked and sat back in her throne

"Would anyone else like to bless him?," Zeus asked. No one else spoke up, so he continued.

"Then, this meeting is adjourned."

All of the gods flashed out, except for my father, Artemis, and Hestia, who remained by the hearth. Poseidon approached me and gave me a hug, which I gladly returned.

"Be safe, my son.," he said with a small smile. I nodded and he flashed out, leaving behind the smell of the ocean.

I walked up to Artemis, who was waiting for me.

"I will flash us to an area just outside our current camp. I want you to stay hidden while I tell the hunters.," she said.

I nodded my head and replied, "Of course, Lady Artemis."

I waved goodbye to Hestia as Artemis placed her hand on my shoulder and flashed us out of the throne room of Olympus.