Chapter 17

"Perseus Jackson," he hissed. "The time has come for you to die."

"That may be true," I responded, ignoring the shouts of protest from behind me, "but, if I go down, I'm taking you with me!"

Tartarus scowled and began to slowly walk towards me.

"Apollo!," I shouted to the sun god, who was helping his daughter with an injured camper nearby.

"What's up, Perce?," he said as he jogged up to me.

"You're the god of prophecies, Apollo. You know what to do," I said grimly

"But-," he began to protest, but I cut him off.

"No buts! We above all people know we can't fight prophecies, so go and make sure no one gets hurt or interferes," I said. Apollo nodded sadly and began to walk away, but turned around.

"Perce?," he began. I raised an eyebrow, but my expression became one of surprise as Apollo wrapped me in a hug.

"Thank you. For everything," he whispered. Before I could react, he flashed himself and the remaining campers behind the borders of Camp Half-Blood. I watched wide-eyed with the other campers as sunlight bent to Apollo's will and formed a barrier of light and heat between camp and the battlefield.

My father was the first to notice I was still on the other side of the barrier. He was screaming at Apollo to let him through, but Apollo remained still with his arms outstretched and face furrowed in concentration. I nodded at him and turned back to the enemy. By now, every being behind the force field was screaming at me to run, but I ignored them.

I raised Riptide in the air and focused all of my powers, pulling water, fire, shadows, wind, and lightning towards me. I could feel myself being lifted off the ground by the storm I was creating. I opened my eyes to see I was surrounded by a hurricane of the elements under my control. Wind was whipping through my hair and I could tell my eyes were swirling with power, like the ocean in a storm. One glance over my shoulder told me that everyone was staring at me in awe. I returned my gaze to Tartarus and commanded my storm to carry me closer. Tartarus chuckled evilly.

"You think this little display of power can scare me? ATTACK!," he commanded the remaining monsters. The few who were brave enough to try never got close, my storm blasting them to dust. The rest were frozen or running away in fear.

"Cowards!," Tartarus yelled and summoned his own sword.

"It's time I finished this," he grumbled.

"Funny. I was about to say the same thing," I replied.

With that, we charged.

Our swords met with a loud clang and a shower of sparks. My storm was pelting Tartarus with water, fire, and lightning, but he barely even flinched.

I'm not sure how long we exchanged blows. It could've been hours or only minutes. I began this battle with nothing but a few scratches and bruises. Now, I had gashes on both my arms where chinks showed in my armor. I was tiring and we both knew it. My breathing was heavy and my storm was slowing down. I blocked another strike, our swords pressing against each other with all of our strength.

"Why do you continue fighting, Perseus? I killed your family. You have nothing left," Tartarus hissed.

My vision turned red with rage. A surge of strength pumped through my arms and I shoved him back. Distantly, I could hear the campers chanting my name, encouraging me to not give up. I smiled slightly.

"That's where you're wrong," I growled as I cut a slice across his chest. "I do have a family and they're standing behind that barrier watching me kick your primordial ass. And you will not take them away from me!," I yelled a war cry and began fighting with new strength, dedicating each strike to the people I care about , the ones I've lost and the ones I'm saving.

Finally, with a mighty heave, I stabbed Riptide through his chest and released every ounce of power I had left, aiming towards Tartarus, as I screamed, "FOR MY FAMILY!"

When the dust cleared, Tartarus was struggling to stay standing and I was struggling to stay floating in the air.

"You may have destroyed me, but I will not allow you to remain," he whispered. Before I could comprehend what he said, Tartarus raised his sword one last time and stabbed me through my breastplate and stomach as he crumbled to dust.

I gasped in pain and plummeted to the ground as the screams of my family rang in my ears.

Hope you liked the final battle! >:) Only 2 more chapters and the epilogue left.