Chapter 19

Third Person POV

For the next few days, the camp held sadness and grief as they prepared shrouds for the fallen heroes. Among the dead were Katie Gardner, Will Solace, Lou Ellen, Pollux, and many others.

When the time finally came for the funeral, every Olympian appeared to mourn as the shrouds burned. The fire burned black and low to match the camp's mood, but it seemed to shrink and grow darker as the last burial shroud was brought forward.

Every shroud was beautiful, but none were more beautiful than this. The entire camp worked together to create it. The shroud was sea-green and embroidered with blue. The center held a solid black trident against a faint gray owl surrounded by the symbols of those who blessed him: a yellow lightning bolt, a white skull, a blazing hearth, a golden sun, a silvery moon, and a bronze caduceus. Percy's shroud.

Every being had silent tears streaming down their faces as the shroud burned, even those who despised Percy could not keep the tears at bay.

Finally, Artemis stepped forward, Percy's letter clutched in her hand. She stood on the stage of the amphitheater and took a deep breath before gently unfolding the paper. The audience sat still with bated breath, wondering what Percy's last gift would say. Though there were many spelling mistakes, Artemis managed to decipher Percy's messy handwriting and began to read.

"'If you are reading this,'" she began,"' then I must have guessed the prophecy's meaning correctly. I died. I know many of you are probably sad I'm gone, but I don't want you to be. I lived a long life, at least for a demigod, and I must admit, not much of it was happy. The happiest moments I had were shared with my mom, Annabeth, and my friends, and they made it to Elysium a while ago. The last few weeks at camp and with the Hunt have been the best that I could ask for and the hunters all became sisters to me, but, even surrounded by my new family, I never felt more alone. The truth is, without Annabeth, my mom, and the others, nothing could ever be the same again. So, don't be sad I'm gone. Be happy for me. I'm with my family and I'm okay. I accepted my death, so please do the same. -Percy.'"

By the time Artemis finished the letter, the goddess, and everyone else, had resumed crying. Artemis looked towards the sky where the constellation of her former lieutenant shimmered in the night.

"You were the only worthy male, Percy. The world shall honor you, just as they honor Zoë," she said softly. Artemis breathed a chant in Ancient Greek into her hand and it began to glow as she released a wisp of silver smoke towards the sky. The campers watched amazed as a new constellation took form.

A boy, running with his sword drawn, in front of the girl with her bow and arrow.

The Guardian forever protecting the Huntress as they raced across the stars.

Tbh I love the ending to this chapter and I hope you do, too. Next, is the epilogue. :')