Chapter 16

The moment the demigods clashed weapons with the enemy army, I shot into the air, searching for one of the first enemies I ever faced. Medusa. Being able to turn someone to stone with one look, I knew she was one of the biggest threats here.

I spotted her right as she began to unveil herself and shot down towards her. I landed with my eyes closed tight and my sword raised.

"Perseus Jackson," she hissed," my, my how you've grown since you destroyed me. It'll be a shame to crush your statue to dust!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. In case you haven't noticed, Snake Face, I have a lot of monster butt to kick today, so let's get on with it," I replied. Medusa snarled and pounced, but I met her claws with Riptide. I was battling Medusa using my hearing and battle reflexes alone.

We were exchanging blows for several minutes when I heard the Stolls nearby.

"Holy Hermes. Is Percy battling Medusa with his eyes closed?!," Travis exclaimed.

"I don't think Perce can get any more badass," Connor answered. I smirked and returned my focus to the battle, but the distraction gave Medusa an advantage. Judging by the whistling of the air, she was about to rake her claws across my face and I didn't have time to block them with my sword.

Time slowed down. My legs tensed and I jumped, twisting in midair to slice off Medusa's head. I landed on one knee right as her body burst into golden dust. I blasted her head with white hot flames to make sure no one was turned to stone and opened my eyes to see the Stoll brothers staring at me in awe.

"I stand corrected," Connor said. I grinned and we continued fighting.

We fought together for a while, destroying Stheno and Euryale, before I shot off to see where I was needed most. I could see some campers struggling to defeat the Minotaur, so I flew over to face another old enemy.

"Hey, Beef Head! Remember me?!," I yelled. The Minotaur roared and threw his battle axe towards me in rage. I easily dodged and smirked.

"You just made this even easier," I said. I flew closer and kicked him in the face. He tried to swing his fists at me, but I just flew out of range before he could hit me. Finally, one of the demigods below stabbed him in the leg as he tried to hit me again. He bellowed in pain and looked down. I took the chance and stabbed him in the back. He crumbled to dust and I nodded at the other demigods before racing into the battle, deciding to save energy.

It wasn't long before I found another old enemy. All three of his chests were wearing armor, but I could see a chink big enough for an arrow to go through and pierce his three hearts. I grinned, sheathed Riptide, and took my bow off my back.

"Hey, Triple Chest!," I shouted. He turned his face towards me and scowled.

"I don't need a god's help this time," I said as I let the arrow fly. My arrow found the chink in his armor and Geryon dissolved before he could even scream.

From then on, the battle was a blur. At one point, I was fighting side-by-side with Clarisse against a drakon. Later, I saw Will Solace shaking his head over the limp form of Katie Gardner, only to be impaled from behind by a dracaena's trident. I growled and sliced it in half with Riptide. It crumbled to dust and I gently closed Will and Katie's eyes before flying their bodies across the camp borders, where I was dismayed to see other bodies already laying peacefully on the ground, and rejoining the battle.

After that, I fought back-to-back with my father, joining hands and sharing identical grins as we combined our powers to drown the pack of hellhounds surrounding us. Another time, I was fighting alongside Thalia, my sword crossed with her spear, as we summoned lightning to blast monsters to dust. The battle went on like that for a long while, until it eventually seemed like we were gaining the upper hand.

Just when it seemed we would win the battle, a deep voice filled the battlefield with its evil laughter. Laughter that sounded like rumbling mountains.

My eyes widened and I spun around, searching for the source of the voice as the battle froze around me. The remaining monsters gave an ugly cheer, knowing who it was.

"FALL BACK!," I screamed as loud as I could. Demigods scrambled to get to the borders, but I stayed where I was. The ground shook as the dark purple figure with the face of a whirlpool rose to tower above the battlefield.

Tartarus.

I won't be able to post this weekend, so here's an early update! Hope you like the battle scene cause I'm pretty crappy at writing them. Next update will be the final battle!