Chapter 12

As the campers and hunters were finishing dinner, I snuck into the forest to hide our flag in the agreed location, knowing the campers would choose Zeus's Fist as their hiding place. Along the way, I heard voices and stopped to listen when I recognized them.

"You've searched everywhere, Grover. Maybe he just doesn't want to be found.," Juniper said comfortingly.

"I know, Juniper, but he's my best friend. He didn't stop looking for me when I was on Polyphemus' Island, so I can't stop looking for him now.," Grover insisted. Grover sounded so miserable that I felt guilty for not contacting him sooner. I crept forward. Grover deserved to know about me before the rest of the campers.

"You looked nice in that wedding dress.," I said with a smirk as I took off my hood. Juniper shrieked in surprise and Grover jumped two feet in the air before turning around.

"Percy?!," he exclaimed.

"Hey, G-man.," I smiled.

"Per-r-r-rcy!," Grover bleated and wrapped me in a big goat-hug.

"Shhh! It's good to see you, too!," I shouted as quietly as I could.

"Where have you been?," Juniper asked.

"Yeah. Where have you been, Perce?," Grover agreed. I sighed and told them the story as quickly as I could, including our plan for telling the campers my identity. By the time I finished, Grover had a sad smile on his face.

"It's good to see you acting like you used to, Percy.," he said softly. I smiled back.

"It feels good, Grover. I'll see you at the campfire, okay?," I said, giving him another hug.

"Wouldn't miss it.," he said with a grin. I waved to him and Juniper and continued running through the forest.

I finished getting the flag into position just as the hunters entered the small clearing.

"Ready?," Thalia asked.

"All set.," I replied with a grin. She smirked.

"Then, let's do this!," she shouted and we all yelled in agreement as a horn was blown in the distance. The hunters split and two of the groups raced into the forest. I made sure my hood was securely covering my face and plunged in after them.

As I sprinted through the forest, I could hear sounds of battle off to my left, as well as pained cries from boys that made me cringe from what the hunters may have been doing to them. Finally, I approached Zeus's Fist to see the Stolls guarding the flag, but I could sense others nearby. I silently crept forward and knocked the brothers out from behind with the hilt of my sword before they could alert the others, grabbed the flag, and ran without anyone noticing.

I raced through the forest, meeting up with Thalia and the other decoy groups along the way. Before I knew it, we were across the stream and the hunters were cheering, while the campers groaned.

"The Hunters of Artemis win!," Chiron said. "Now, campers, you may proceed to the arena for the campfire."

I led the hunters to the arena with the flag held high, but stopped on the stage as everyone else sat down. It took almost five minutes for someone to notice me.

"Who's the guy holding the hunters' flag?!," Travis Stoll shouted, still holding an ice pack to his head. After his outburst, everyone else noticed me and began to whisper amongst themselves.

"Allow me to introduce myself.," I announced. The arena went completely silent. I could see Grover and Juniper grinning from the back and Chiron smiling next to Rachel to my right. I also noticed Thalia beginning to record from my left.

"I am the newly appointed guardian of the Hunt, which is why I was on their team. Most of you know me as an old friend and it's good to be home again.," I continued. Now, the campers looked confused, but Clarisse's eyes widened as she recognized my voice.

"Prissy?!," she asked disbelievingly as she stood up. The camp held their breath as I reached up to pull back my hood.

"Miss me?," I asked innocently with my troublemaker grin. The entire camp simultaneously blinked in surprise before shouting, "PERCY!" and started cheering, but a loud, sharp gasp from my right silenced them once more.

Rachel's eyes glowed green and green mist billowed around her as the Oracle took over. In a raspy voice that sounded like three Rachels speaking at once chanted:

"Seeking revenge on he who escaped his hands

An enemy rises from his hellish land

Monsters brought forth to destroy his home

The guardian to stand and fight alone

Creating a storm of power with blessings cast

And joining the lost at long last"