Chapter 3

I got so lost in my thoughts, as I looked into the mirror, I didn't hear my mother approach the door and knock.

"Lane?" My mother said in a gentle voice.

Now my mother, Akela Payne, was a spitting image of beauty. She had lovely curves and beautiful skin. My father always calls her fine wine. Since she supposably got more beautiful as she aged, but I could never imagine a time when she wasn't beautiful. She wore black jeggings a red plaid t shirt, and put her hair up in a messy bun. She resembles a frail kind woman. My mother worked for the healing department. She works with many herds and different sicknesses. Some call one of the tribes healer and others a nurse. Some say that was the old way of the healers.

"Oh. Hey I was just making sure I looked decent for tonight." I said.

My mother let out a sigh as she approached me.

"Come here dear." She said with a kind smile.

My mother brought a chair over and placed me in front of the mirror. She soon went to work with my hair by combing it. The curly mess went down a little. She then decided to work on a decorative loose bun.

"So... How was work?" I manage to scrap up some sort of a conversation.

"It was fine. It wasn't really busy today, but that is good that the tribe is not being hit with a sickness." She said back half heartedly since she was concentrating on my hair so much.

"So how was the hunting patrol with Xander?" She said very cheekily.

"Ah, it was fine I guess." I muttered back.

My mom stepped away from me admiring her work and turned me around.

"Did you miss a catch again?" She asked gently.

"Yeah." I wanted to burst into tears, but I held it back.

"Hey it's ok. We ca-"

"No it's not ok! Im horrible at hunting, I can't hear or smell as good as the others, and my shape form is different!" I cut my mother off.

My mother placed the brush down harshly onto my bed.

" Lane Hue Payne, you listen here. I have told you over and over again. You should take pride in your color. The people around here look like walking zombies with their pale skin!" My mother said reassuringly.

"Thanks mom, at least I have someone I can always turn to." I say wiping my eyes.

"Hey you always have Xander." She said with a big grin.

I let out a snort.
"Oh please mom, Xander is too "high up" for me." I mimic a snoring voice for "high up".

My mom let out a giggle.
"Not your type?" She asked.

"I'd rather not go into that." I let out a chuckle. I found it rather nice that I would always be able to confine in my mom.
"I'm sorry it's all just really hard." I mumbled.

"I know, but we can do this together. Come on we better start heading down to the banquet. Your father and sister will be waiting." My mother ushered me down the stairs and out the door.