Chapter 8

I turned to my bed and flopped into it. I screamed into my pillow. This was dumb. All of it. Dakota just wanted to get under my skin. I mean a war? Really?!

My screams were soon stopped as I heard the front door close.

"Lane!" My mother shouted.

I heard my sister stomp up the stairs. My door swung open.

"What were you doing with lover boy down there?" My sister said with a dastardly grin.

"Aviana!" I shouted while throwing my pillow at her. She sucked to the left and scattered to her room giggling.

I was soon met with my mother at the door.

"So... Am I allowed to ask why Dakota was here?" My mother said sneakily while leaning on the doorway.

I put my hands over my face.

"What did he say to you?" I asked.

"Oh nothing. Only that we have a wonderful home and he would like to patrol with you tomorrow." She squealed.

My mouth shot open. I couldn't find the words. He was even playing through my parents now? What more does he want?!

"Oh yeah... He said that maybe he can help me a bit if we patrol together..." I covered up. I tried to close my mouth as quick as I could so my mom couldn't see my shock.

"Hmh sure hon." My mom smiled and left my room.

I closed the door behind her and felt imidiatly tired. It was only 7:36 but I wanted to lay down.

I flopped back into my bed and went over everything that had happened today. My father was claimed to be a criminal, Dakota starting talking to me after forever, and it was my third time not catching anything. Just great. Soon I became so tired that sleep over came me. I fell asleep with my normal clothes on.

I suddenly awoke to little bump at my door. I turned over to my clock to see the time.

1:54 AM.

I sluggishly got out of bed. I slowly approached my door and slowly cracked it open.

I had to hold back a gasp. There was my father in his normal clothes sneaking out of my mother and his bedroom.

I waited for him to creep down the stairs and I slowly creaked open the door. It made a little noise and my heart stopped. If my father knew I was awake and saw him he would stay at home and pretend he was just getting a glass of milk.

Hey, maybe that is what he was doing. Maybe this was all a dream.

I waited to hear the main door close and I went down the stairs. Even though it being remarkably dark u could still sense where everything was.

I soon felt the door and pulled it open. A cool summers breeze welcomed me. I slowly snuck out of the house and approached our family gates. I knew that my dad could keep track of every time it was used so I was forced to climb over it.