Chapter 6

"Dakota, what do you need?" I asked politely. Even though we seem to hate each other we must show respect for one another.

"Oh nothing. Just wanted to have a little chat." He said walking towards me. He scratched the back of his head and looked at me.

We walked with each other for a while saying nothing. This reminded me when our mothers would make us hang out as kids. We liked each other back then. We would talk a lot and make fun of each other a lot. My mother even has a tape of us in a "mini wedding". I shuddered at the thought. I would feel pity for the woman who would have to marry Dakota. Mainly to the fact that he would cheat on her in a  minute. Finally Dakota decided to break the ice.

"A little bird told me of your failure."  He said with a pathetic grin.

I scuffed.

"First off. How dare you? Second off. None of your business sunshine." I said with my teeth gritted.

"Woah, didn't mean to open a can of worms." He said while taking an abrupt stop.

"It sure seemed like you did. Jeez, I mean you can't possibly be that forward and not expect me to get defensive." I retorted back.

"I was just trying to break the tension. Lighten up will you? It's not that big of a deal. I mean one time when I was 16 I didn't bring back a meal for a week and a half." He said with a chuckled.

I couldn't help but to smile just a little.

"Wow that's bad." I said with a sigh. I was very tired. We finally we reached my house gates and he looked at me.

"You know you look a lot more pretty when you smile." He said with his white teeth.

I scowled at him.

"Thanks sunshine." I murmured. I knew it was too good to be true. I knew he wouldn't just let his flirty side be. This made me hate him even more.

"I'm home now you can leave." I spat.

"Oh you're not shutting down a guest are you? What would your mother say?" He said innocently.

"Wh- I- jus- ug. Fine come in in." I muttered.

I input the password and shouldered my way through the gates as Dakota followed admiring the garden decor. We entered into the house and his smiled faded too quickly.

"Ok Lane listen I don't have much time." He grabbed my arm and ushered me into the kitchen. He looked around the house with anxiety.

"Where is a safe place to talk where no one can here you?" He asked me.

"Dakota what the hel-"

"Answer me!" He shouted. His expression was grim and I thought the worst was gonna happen to me.

"What are you- let go of me!" I yanked my arm away.
"Tell me what's going on and I'll talk!"

"Please Lane." He said while looking at the ground.

I felt rude for pushing him away so quickly.

"My room. No one will go up their." I said.

I started to shake as we walked up the stairs and into my room. I have never seen Dakota ever frown. Ever. I got so lost in my thoughts I almost didn't see that he locked the door.