Chapter 4 (Nick)

I was still in shock, I couldn't believe that kid had the guts to throw me a knife. It could have been dangerous. He saved my life, and I needed to thank him in some way. So I took a candy bar from my pocket, I loved candy I always had some in my pockets, and handed it to him while saying "Thanks for saving me kid".

"No problem". He replied.

A smile grew on his face as soon as I handed him the candy bar. Then Brent started talking.

"How have you guys survived all this time alone?"

"Who said we were alone?" Jennifer replied.

"So you are a group, you have your group of survivors?" It was Jerome talking.

"No, they discovered our hideout, we were the only ones to get out". She replied.

"It had must been hard to loose your whole group of friends and family". Marissa said.

"Yeah, but I got used to it already, I had to move on". Jennifer replied.

We needed to find out a way to get the lights back on here. I went to try for the light switches, didn't work. So we all figured we should find the source of the problem.

"Maybe the power is off". Suggested Lucas.

"Maybe, let's try. Where is the power switch any way?" I said.

Brent answered me, "It could be in the basement somewhere".

We started to walk around the market with our gun lights on. It was really big, time was running out, we needed to find it fast.

Someone shouted. "Found it, but I don't know if there are more of the creatures down there". It was Jennifer.

We got closer. We waited for a sound, a scream, something that would show us that there were creatures down at the basement. Nothing, silence ruled the basement. We decided to go down the stairs and figure out ourselves. We had more guns now, and more people for protection.

I got to the basement first, I decided to wait by the stairs until everyone was there with me. It was even darker here, even with the gun lights on the darkness ruled. Stick together, that was the plan. Something rushed through my feet. My heart jumped, I aimed my light at the ground immediately. What I saw, made me calm down, it was only a rat.

But then it made a sound, a weird one for a rat. Now that I noticed, it didn't have any fur. She tried to bite me, and that's when I fired. The rat exploded with the impact, everything that was inside her, now laid splattered on the floor. It was disgusting.

We continued our way through the basement. We finally found the power switch, but it was already turned on. So I tried the only thing that seemed reasonable. I turned it off, and then on again. A blaring  sound started . It was a machine, lights started to turn on.

"Hey good job Nicky!" It was Marissa..

That made me blush. My vision was blurry, maybe because we had been so long in the dark. Any way, we continued up stairs, what we saw was horrible. The massacre we had made, every creature we killed laid on the ground, blood was all over the place.

We had to get the food inside the car, so Jerome started talking.

"Hey, you two said you were alone right? Why don't you come with us?" He was aiming at Jennifer and Lucas with his fingers.

"Really, would you do that for us?" Lucas was the one replying.

A smile was on his face. I could tell they had been alone for a while now. It must have been hard for an eleven year old.