Chapter 8 (Brent)

The guns were pointed at us, I entered in shock. They talked again.

"I'm gonna say it one more time, talk or we will shoot."

I couldn't move, my body wouldn't make the smallest movement. I could see their fingers already moving, almost pulling the trigger. 

"Okay! Okay! We'll talk!" Jerome yelled.

Their guns lowered and at last I gained control of my body once again. My breathing was coming back to normal. My heartbeat was no longer a thousand pumps per second, and I could think clearly.

"We have a group, some hours from here. It was a long trip but we had a fast car." Nick said.

"Okay. We believe you." One of them said.

We were about to enter when they stopped us.

"We said we believed you, not that you could come in." Another one said.

I was confused. I looked around, and my friends had the same expression I had. What were we supposed to do? Then it happened.

The feeling of cold metal hitting my head. Pain burst inside my head, the world went spinning. I could see he was holding his sub-machine gun upside down. Why had he hit me? I looked around, my vision blurry, my head spinning. My friends were already on the floor, they had passed out. 

I was regaining my senses when another hit came from the left. I couldn't take the pain, it was too much, then another hit. Were they going to kill me right here for the creatures to eat? I touched my head, blood oozed from it, a lot. Then I passed out.

------------

I was out in the city, it was late at night. The cold breeze hit my face, making me shiver. My hair had already grown too much and it covered my vision. I could see something in the distance, still my vision was blurry. 

I got closer, every step making me realize what I feared the most. From the distance, I could make out my friends. They weren't alone. Creatures were all around. Each one attacking the group members. I chose a creature a headed towards it. I ran, eyes closed ready to tackle it.

Nothing came. No recoil. No blow. No pain. I open my eyes again, only to realize that my friends were even farther away now. Had I ran to the opposite direction? Why weren't the creatures attacking me?

I ran again, this time with my eyes open. The cold wind making them watery. As I ran faster they seemed to go farther away. I didn't understand, how could this be possible? My friends dying slowly, being infected by the poisonous disease that could enter your body through a single scratch.

I wanted to help them. Adrenaline rushed through me, my feet moving faster than ever. Suddenly I tripped, bouncing up and down, rolling through the ground.

When I opened my eyes again I was in complete darkness. I panicked. Where were my friends? Where had they gone? Did they die? Were was I?

Suddenly a small light flashed through the darkness. It grew bigger as I got closer. Warmth came, the light was giving me heat. I no longer shivered. My eyes were no longer watery.

I continued to get closer, the light illuminating the whole room. At the end of it I found an open door. What was this about? I decided to discover it myself. I went through it.

----------

I felt cold metal on my back. I tried to move but I couldn't. As my vision came back to normal I noticed we were no longer outside the nuclear plant. They had brought us in, I tried to stand up, but failed in the attempt. I looked around. My friends were there, their bodies were limp. Had they killed them. I don't think so. If they did why not kill me too?