Chapter 6 (Jerome)

As soon as I saw Sam, I noticed the outfit he was wearing, a lab coat. Why would that be? Was he a scientist? What kind of experiments has he been working on? Could he figure out a cure? I've always had an interest in this type of profession. My dad was a famous scientist before he got infected.

He also looked tired and he had white hair so he had to be at least fifty years old.

"So Sam, I can see that you are wearing a lab coat. Are you a scientist or something like that?" I said.

"Actually yes I am, thanks for noticing, or at least I was before all of this happened." He answered.

"Man I'm hating this! Who could have done something like this? I'm gonna kill the freaking idiot once I discover who it was. He took everything from me, my parents, my studies, my friends, even my future!" Nick said this.

I could notice Sam's face got red, his hands moving around, his palms shiny with sweat.

"Calm down Nick, we've already been through this, you know we can't do anything about it. And even though the world has become a nightmare,  we are still moving on. Believe it or not, things are getting better." Brent always knew what to say, he has always helped me.

He was the one that found me along with Marissa while doing a search duty. I was alone and this nightmare was just getting started and the hideout wasn't as it is now.

-----

I was roaming through the city a few months ago. I was about to enter my favorite ice cream shop, Ben and Jerry's when out of nowhere one of the creatures came jumping at me. By that time I didn't even know they were capable of having such strength, it isn't that easy to take me down.

I was on the floor and the creature was already suffering the effects of the sun rays, he was screaming but still trying to hit me, trying to kill me. I evaded every single blow he threw at me. Just when he was about to bite me his head blew off. Exploding in a thousand little pieces all around me.

Luckily I was wearing a jacket so none of the blood got to touch my skin. I looked to my right and saw Brent, sniper in hand still aiming, checking if the creature was dead. Marissa behind him, gun in hand just for precaution. I stood up and raised my hands in sign of surrender. He walked up to me and said: "That was a close one, wasn't it? Anyway what's your name?"

From that moment I knew he was someone I could trust. He helped me find a reason in life again, and that reason is survival.

-----

"Sometimes I think there is just no hope, ya know?" Marissa said.

I responded. "Don't dare say that! We've been through too much and still here we are! Still not infected, still human beings, still alive! If there's something I learned from all this, it's that you can overcome any obstacle in life. You guys have taught me that! So shut up Marissa!"

Maybe I had been too rude, but I just can't stand to loose anyone else. 

I had already lost my mom, my dad and my little brother. I had to take care of him, and I failed him.

-----

It had been some time before my encounter with Brent. We were just playing at the park with his football, that was his favorite sport. We had played all day long, taking breaks now and then to eat and rest. My mom and dad had already been infected, and I told Dylan that they were out for a trip. He was only five.

It was getting late and we had to head home, and it had to be fast. You could already hear the moans. Dylan always asked me, "Hey J what's all that noise?"