1. The "Ordinary" Life of Kiara Rivers

I didn't realize just how difficult this really was. The process would have been much easier with the help of a mentor. Unfortunately, with my skill set, nobody was qualified enough to help. No one I knew had abilities like mine. True, a former lover possessed magical qualities, but his powers didn't match. Besides, he was locked away in Asgardian prison. I needed someone who understood one or both of my gifts. I was the only one who could.

The old lab had been cleared out, leaving me to only do damage to the walls and floor. Nobody had tried to erase the scorch marks I'd made. The only target I hadn't hit was the floor yet, shockingly enough. But there were firsts for everything.

I exhaled through my nose and felt the heat crawl through my veins. The burst of fire shot from the palm of my hand. The flame was calm for now. I began my warmup, willing the flame to grow taller, hotter, bigger. I molded it into a ball and began tossing it between both of my hands before making it hover in midair.

Pooling my concentration towards my fire, I willed it to expand, contort into something serpent-like. With my hand out now, I guided my serpent around the room slowly, watching it slither effortlessly in the air. It had no defined features except for its body.

I moved with the serpent, keeping a close eye on it. I made it wriggle faster through the air, equaling the distribution of heat in the room. I smiled faintly. I didn't feel any blood down my nose, so this was progress. A while ago, this exhausted me and made me almost faint. Now, this was nothing.

I sent the serpent up towards the ceiling, an area that got marred by my attempts of controlling my fire. I sent my serpent shooting for the ceiling and just extinguished it before I could attack the ceiling again.

I yelped as water began to suddenly come down in sheets, soaking me almost instantly. My jaw locked. Damn sprinkler system.

"J.A.R.V.I.S.!" I shouted over the water. "I'm not burning down the place, turn them off! This rut is getting a bit old."

"My apologies, Miss Rivers," came the automated, electronic voice.

The temporary shower ceased. I began to wring my hair out.

"Mr. Stark instructed me to put out any potential fire hazard."

"You've put me out about twenty times this month!" I complained.

"Hey, hey, don't take it out on him," came a new voice. I turned to see Stark himself strolling in with a change of clean clothes. "And stop ruining my floor, would you?"

I squeezed my hair out more just to irritate him. "You know I practice here. I thought I told you to get J.A.R.V.I.S. to not give me a shower when I'm down here?"

"I did." Stark looked offended.

"But, sir, if I remember right, you told me today—"

"I must've been sleep-talking."

I looked at him skeptically. "At least J.A.R.V.I.S. will tell me the truth. Those for me?"

"I'd feel bad if I didn't come down here with nothing for you."

"You know, I don't understand why you're letting me mess around down here while you're rebuilding the place."

"You had nowhere to go. Besides, I know you like coming here." He smirked.

"It's not because of you." I rolled my eyes.

"Please, I'm a joy to be around." Stark threw me the clothes, which I caught nimbly. "You sticking around for dinner?"

"Nah, I don't want to leave Todd all by himself."

"Who? Mr. Fanboy?"

I gasped. "He can control himself when in your presence! He's not around you enough to realize just how childish you really are."