6. The Woman in Black

"Someone watch him!" I shouted as I tore off, abandoning Steve.

My legs were alight with new fire—not literally, as I wasn't going to risk my identity with wandering eyes. I pursued Steve's attacker, who was garbed all in black. Her dark hair was swishing behind her, and I wanted to leap the gap and pull her down by it.

I pushed people out of my way, as did my prey. I made sure to not throw people into traffic—that wouldn't look too good for me. When my prey looked back, she wore a ski mask, just like last time—I had to assume that this was the same woman from the incident in the apartment. The only thing I could see was her eyes, and the color was very hard to make out in this chase we were in.

She ran right into the street, which, for her, was good. The light was playing in her favor, and by the time I got out onto the street, the light changed and went to green. Taxis and cars honked at me in frustration. I quickly got out of their way, eyes focused on that dark ponytail flapping in the night. I need to get her. There was a slim chance that my prey was a male, but I wasn't aware of too many men in today's world who were on the shorter side of the spectrum.

She ran into the crowd of people, and for a brief moment, I lost her. I lost Steve's attacker. What did she do to him, anyway? I hadn't stayed with him long enough to figure out the damage, if any. I have to remember the way back to him. That was provided he didn't wake up first and ask people for directions.

I slowed my sprint to a fast walk, eyes hungrily searching for the woman in black. I kept the fire inside, though it was desperate to come out. No exposure. Not here. Not with people watching. Though, I was sure from the Battle of New York, some people already knew who I was—they were probably too afraid to point me out to the entire population of the city right now.

A force hit me from behind, nearly sending me to kiss the concrete sidewalk. People backed away, startled, eyes wide in fear, as I wrestled with the monkey on my back. I reached for anything of her I could grab. She pulled, pulling me back towards an alleyway. I yelled, throwing myself down on her. People gasped in fear, some started pulling out their phones as my attacker got to her feet.

In the dim streetlights, I picked out the green of her eyes. They weren't a bright apple green, more along the lines of a dark forest color. Her skin looked to be more on the pale side from what I could see. In her right hand was a needle.

I knew exactly who I was dealing with. She wasn't after Steve, he had just been in her way. Her goal was me.

She went for me, and I made sure that needle didn't pinch any of my skin. Our arms hit against each other, sometimes so hard it was a wonder how I didn't break any of her bones. I was, after all, stronger than her due to my bloodline.

She avoided my swipe to her face, and in turn she got her fist into mine. No bones crunched under her fist, so in turn I kicked at her. She stumbled back, and my ears were met with the familiar sound of the Taser.

Oh, yes, this was definitely my attacker from before.

I ducked and avoided being prodded, trying to dislodge that needle from her hand and destroy it. I wasn't too sure what was in it. Did she want something from me? My blood? Does she know who I am? If this was the second time we've encountered each other, she had to.

"Everyone stay back!" I warned the watchers. "Nobody try to be a hero!"

I cried out as I felt the familiar shock rocket through my body. I locked my jaw, feeling my legs start to buckle. There was a fierce determination in her eyes, and I swatted at her as she plunged the needle towards my neck. I moved away, body still convulsing slightly from the shock. I stood on wobbly legs, and when my attacker went for me again, I didn't hold back.