4. A "Normal" Day at Stark Tower

"J.A.R.V.I.S., be a dear and put on some music for me?" I asked the AI as I entered my training room.

"Of course, Miss Rivers. Any preferences?"

"Surprise me." I smiled. "But keep the volume low, please."

The song that J.A.R.V.I.S. put on was one that I didn't know—big shocker there. I let it go through the air as background noise as I warmed up my powers. I conjured a fireball, twisting it into the snake I liked to see it take form of. I tried expanding it, making it bigger, hotter. I started to make it circle around me protectively. All right, let's try this.

Focused, I stretched the snake, transforming it into a wall of fire. I watched as the holes were patched, how the fire was slowly scorching the floor. I willed the fire's temperature to lower so that I didn't find myself making a hole in the floor and falling onto the level below.

I kept the circle of fire around me, looking briefly upwards to see the parts coming together, almost like a dome over my head.

The fire grew, coming together in a dome roof over my head. The dull roar canceled out any music I had J.A.R.V.I.S. playing. I smiled in victory. Progress. Real progress.

But my brain decided that the victory was to be short celebrated.

An echo of pain crossed my abdomen, shattering my concentration. I grunted, buckling to my knees, the wall of fire pulling apart and vanishing into the air.

I closed my eyes as reminders came flooding in. The smell of burning oil, smoke, fire, concrete, flesh. People screaming, frantic feet escaping the roaring speeders overhead, full of aliens determined to destroy New York. Those ugly aliens garbed in their native armor, with their other-realm technology, weaponry that could even bring an Asgardian to her knees with one blast.

"Miss Rivers?" I heard J.A.R.V.I.S. inquire.

I was too wrapped up in my memories to respond. My past was pulling me away from reality, determined to keep me in its horrors. I hunched over, grabbing my abdomen, where there was faint scarring from the Chitauri attack. I was vaguely aware of my blonde locks forming curtains around my face.

I didn't feel like the powerful Asgardian I knew myself to be. Memories of battle had crippled me, reduced me to a shivering, whimpering mess. And tried as I did, I couldn't pull myself out. I hadn't had this bad of a reaction with my memories of Loki.

"Sir, would you like me to call an ambulance for Miss Rivers?"

"No, I got her. Hey, Girl on Fire." I felt hands on my shoulders. "Kiara. Come on, look at me."

Slowly, I rose my head, meeting Stark's worried expression. He was kneeling in front of me, hovering like a parent would over their hurting child. "Stark..."

"You're okay," he said gently. "You're safe here."

"I...I don't know what that was." I sucked in a breath. "I-I was practicing, and it just hit me..."

"It's okay." He squeezed one of my shoulders. "I think you should cut this practice short."

"Maybe you're right."

"I know I am." He offered me a small smile. "Come on, you hungry?"

"Truthfully, I feel sick to my stomach." I couldn't forget my pounding head either.