11. Change of Scenery

I couldn't get the burning man out of my head. It lingered, imprinted itself into my brain, saying, You won't forget me. I won't let you forget.

I rubbed my eyes with the heels of my palms. This was going to tack on another nightmare in the near future, I could see it already.

I was alone in my room. Right now, it felt uncomfortable. Unwelcoming. Like I was an outsider. I still was. Even as an Avenger, I felt like an outsider. The Asgardian from another realm. The other realm being who still didn't fully comprehend all of Earth's history, knowledge, and culture.

No one had come to see me since I was escorted by a good amount of armed S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. Who would want to see me anyway? They'd assume I'd fry them just for breathing the same air. I couldn't explain this, and neither could S.H.I.E.L.D. apparently.

What if this was something that they couldn't fix? What if this was something only I could repair, if that was even possible?

I lay myself out on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. This was a timeout more than anything. No TV, no Internet, no tablets, no phone. I was left with absolutely nothing but my thoughts and to twiddle my thumbs. I could risk trying to play with fire, but knowing the cameras they had here, they'd misinterpret and try to sedate me or put my fire out. I hated it when my fire got diminished by someone else. I hated being interrupted.

I barely acknowledged the door sliding open.

"Some food would be nice," I said. "But you have to bring it to me, I'm not stepping outside that door."

"Not even for me?"

I turned my head. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't Todd, I hadn't heard from him since the day he left for agent training. Instead, I was met with the sight of Steve Rogers at my door. He didn't look angry, just more concerned than anything. As glad as I was to see him, I sure didn't show it. "Where've you been?" I asked.

"I would ask the same question, but I got my answer right here." He nodded towards the outside. "Come on, you need to stretch your legs."

"Oh, so, what, I can take five steps before I light you on fire next?" I snorted. "I'll pass. But seriously, could you bring me some food?"

"Kiara."

I sat up. "Nobody wants me out there, I'm a walking fire hazard."

"Accidents happen."

"That's not how people are seeing it. They think I set that man on fire on purpose."

Steve frowned. "I know, it bothers me too."

I rubbed my face. "They're the reason I'm here! They want to help!"

"They probably didn't think it was going to get that bad."

"I didn't."

"Hey, come on," Steve tried again, this time more gently. "I'll be with you."

"You really want to run the risk of me burning you?"

"I know you won't." He went to me, tugging on my arm. "Come on, off the bed, Rivers."

I quirked a smile as I let him get away with getting me off the bed. "Yes, sir, Captain Rogers."

"See? You're feeling better already."

We walked side by side out of my room. Thankfully, nobody crossed our paths to squawk about my roaming free about the Helicarrier.

I relaxed up until we hit the cafeteria. I hastily got my food and instead smuggled it out. I didn't take much anyway, my appetite wasn't up to par.