Chapter 1.2 "Fight For Your Happiness"

Continuation of chapter 1.1

"He's gone

"He's gone... Shît!" Veronica mumbled gloomily knowing the answer to her imaginable question and being afraid that her guesses would come true. 'This irrepressible demon has surely zoomed off to his mistress. Damn him and all his vices!'

However much Veronica wanted to hate Milano and be disgusted at him. But her heart couldn't hate him. The branches of her love entwined him very deeply, holding him tight. They hurt her more than ever, inflicting the deepest wounds in her soul.

Unable to hold the psychological tension, Veronica sat on the floor in the hallway of Milano's mansion and began crying. The inner world of the girl was about to crack, and all her attempts to influence on Milano's worldview led to nothing. She knew she couldn't just calmly watch her man go to other women.

Veronica had to choose. It is either she will go from him or she will accept Milano the way he is. Veronica's pride was speaking now with her. The pride of an intelligent and strongest woman. She could never have thrown herself at Milano's feet, even if she thought about it before. She would rather be hungry and roam around Rome, than leak feet of her well-beloved.

The mainstream of her thoughts immediately changed, and Veronica knew what she would do was the right thing. 'Will I accept him, if he returns and flings himself in my arms? she thought. No. I will feel the smell of another woman. I don't need it? Hell with him! I won't lower myself to Milano the way he wants it. I will live far from him until my child is born. He will be able to see the baby, but only when I allow him. I won't demean myself before the bloody Casanova anymore!'

Hearing the front door shut, Lucenzo immediately realized that something had happened. So he wasted no time and got up from the table, finishing chewing his dinner and wiping his lips with a napkin. A moment later the young man was in the hall, shaking his head in response to what he had seen: Veronica was sitting alone on the floor, her eyes rain tears.

It was again because of Milano. How can I rein him in? Lucenzo was silently angry, knowing that the elder brother was the cause of this nice girl's tears.

"Veronica," he said, sitting down on the floor beside her and moving closer to her. "Where has our unlucky fellow gone? Have you quarreled with him again?"

"I cannot do this anymore! Just can't! Milano takes my heart, and with the rods of cruelty and indifference makes a steak of it. I have had enough... I'm leaving." Veronica poured her heart out to Lucenzo, having the hiccups from tears every few sentences and wondering how quickly she gets out of this house.

"Where will you go, Veronica? To relatives or friends? Do you have any here?" Lucenzo was talking her down, taking her closer to his shoulder with a hope to make a girl change her mind.

"I'll go to Aunt Carmela, the second cousin of my aunt Henrietta." Veronica shared her plans with Lucenzo while he was listening attentively to her. "I know she will shelter me. I have already talked about it with her but I'm afraid of the only thing. Milano can find me and bring me back, as it was last time. Given that he had found out where Signora Vetrova lives, it will be no trouble for him to come to her place again. Therefore, I won't stay with her. I'll just borrow money from her and find a hotel. I will live there until I find a job to get money and go back to Russia."