Chapter 2.1 "Devastating Desire"

Continuation of chapter 2

Veronica wasn't alone for too long. Close to noon, her aunt called on her mobile, asking about Veronica's health over the past two weeks. They had a nice conversation about everything, and Henrietta had to admit that she was very glad for Veronica and her baby. She apologized for reacting the way she did the last time they spoke on the phone, but Veronica never held a grudge against her aunt. She knew that the news of an unexpected pregnancy would shock anyone. So, everything was quickly forgotten.

Aunt Henrietta told Veronica that she would like to visit her for a short time, but unfortunately, her boss wasn't giving her a vacation from work. He warned her that if she goes on vacation right now, she definitely wouldn't be getting back to her high paying job at the chocolate factory. And a position like hers certainly wouldn't be empty for too long.

Henrietta was saddened by the fact that she won't be able to follow up on Veronica's condition and can't be near her in the coming months to take care of her girl like she should be. Veronica, in turn, soothed Henrietta stating that here she had friends whom she recently met in Rome and who will never let her down. And second cousin to Aunt Henrietta – Signora Carmela will always be able to help Veronica. Henrietta was pleased that her cousin could care for Veronica in her place, and inform her about how things are working.

But Henrietta's heart was still in pain. Her girl was so far away. She had to pray to God that everything would go well, and that Veronica's man wouldn't change his decision regarding their impending marriage and wouldn't leave her in the lurch, totally alone in a foreign country. She was unwilling to let her only-begotten niece suffer all her life.

In the afternoon, Lucenzo went to the cottage and Veronica had more fun. They talked a bit about Lucenzo's eventful day and didn't forget to mention Milano. Lucenzo, of course, was disturbed by the behavior of his older brother, and he thought about how fast he could put pressure on him to make his brother's attitude softer towards Veronica. But she convinced Lucenzo that for now it's necessary to continue to "play" on Milano's playground. The girl had worked out her plan: to push Milano so that he can be re-educated, looking for a way to the light himself. What was needed now was to lead him in the right direction.

But did Veronica and Lucenzo know how serious the psychological state of Milano was? Maybe they didn't. The older couple of the Veneziani family never made it known to any of their children or their relatives about Milano's bipolar affective disorder.

Drawing the small sketches of the lines of the summer evening dress's style, Veronica suddenly heard the phone ring in the living room. She picked up the phone, wondering who it could be.

"Buon giorno. Are you Miss Ledyanova?" The woman on the other side asked Veronica, lightly clearing her throat into the phone.

"Buon giorno, signora." Veronica greeted her. "And how did you know my name?" she cringed, not knowing what this call was about. And how did they know where she lived? What's going on?