Chapter 5

2 Days Later

The boys are coming home today. I can't wait. Brad said he would Skype me when he got to the hotel after his flight to Sydney, but he didn't. Maybe he had jet lag. He also said he would call, but he didn't even call once. Brad was probably really busy rehearsing for that show and the upcoming tour. But at least he's home today.

I drive to the airport ready to greet them. I arrive and all I see is fans. I look to the left, fans. I look to the right, fans. I look straight in front of me, fans. The boys are so lucky to have fans like them, the kind that travel miles just to catch a glimpse, the kind that show up to public places like airports and train stations just to show their support. The kind of fans that take the time and effort to make art work for them, the kind that spend their own money on merchandise and albums. The boys are really lucky. I hear screams, they must be here. I push my way to the front managing to get through. I watch James come out, then Connor, then Tristan but no Brad. Where is he? I run towards the boys hugging them. "Where's Brad?"  I say trying not to sound worried. "He missed the flight Katie."  Tristan says. My heart sinks. "We'll tell you in the car. Right now we have to meet some fantastic fans."  James says walking forward. Tristan and Connor follow. I can't help but be overwhelmed by the noise and all the commotion.

20 minutes after meeting all the fans we walk to the car. James opens the boot and puts in all the luggage. "I'll help."  I say picking up a bag. "No. Not in your condition."  James says taking the bag off me. He smiles. "If anything happened to you while Brad was away, he would never forgive me. He wouldn't forgive any of us."  James says looking at Connor and Tristan. We all get in the car. The boys tell me that Brad went out shopping for gifts to take back before the flight. He said he would be back in time but he wasn't. All four boys reached the airport and Brad decided to get gifts right then. "He could have go them the day before. When we hand time to spare."  Jame says sounding a bit frustrated. We all reach home. Connor opens the door to find a banner says "Welcome Home!". Made by yours truly. "Thanks Katie. Tristan says walking inside and making his way to the kitchen. I laid out some party food that I had made on the dining table and they all seem to enjoy that. I sit on the chair in the living room, while the boys sit on the sofa, eating what they took through with them. "I'm going to text Brad and see if he's checked out flights."  Connor says taking his phone out and finding Brad's name in his contacts.

To Brad
Have you checked flights yet? We're at home.

To Connor
The next direct flight isn't for another two weeks.

"Brad says the next direct flight isn't for another two weeks."  Connor says bringing sadness to my face. "Great, absolutely fantastic!"  I say sarcastically. "But I suppose it will have to do."  I say calming myself down.

To Brad
Book that flight right now! You hear me. RIGHT NOW!

A few minutes late Brad texts back.

To Connor
Just booked it. See you in two weeks buddy!

"He's booked the flight."  Connor says. I let out a small sigh of relief. "Tell me about Australia."  I say to the boys. "Well the flight was awful. The minute we took off things were hectic. There must have been a hen party on board our flight and they didn't shut up. They were shouting and singing and screaming. At one point they started to play music, but they were told off by a member of staff on board the flight. We didn't get any sleep. Well apart from Connor. He slept through the whole thing. Then when we landed, our luggage took three hours to arrive so for three hours we had to hang about the airport bored. When we finally got our luggage, Tristan's suitcase was missing. A staff member found out that that plane was delayed and that he would get his case the next day. When we arrived at the hotel, they had double booked our rooms so we had to wait for another two hours for the problem to get resolved. By the time they got us other rooms it was nearly 11:00 at night and I was exhausted from the journey. We went up to our rooms and then we realised that the hotel staff member only got us one room between the four of us. We spoke to the manager and he ended up sorting out another room for us, but that took nearly two and a half hours. We went into our rooms and by the time I got into bed it was nearly time to get up for practice."  James says with some anger in some parts of the story.