Chapter 15

We run towards Jack and I can't help but be terrified. I know Brad said he wouldn't let him hurt me but he can't promise that. "Sweetie."  I shout, knowing he'll turn around. He turns around and smiles. "Jack we know everything about you hurting Katie and fracturing her wrist. We also know about you blackmailing her. So we have a proposition for you. We're gonna play you at your own game."  Brad says. "You have nothing on me. As far as everyone is concerned I'm the golden boy."  Jack says smugly. "Are you sure. Because I remember a very horrified Jack Baker standing in the kitchen with a dead body beside him and his hands covered in blood."  Brad says reminding him. "You wouldn't. I killed Luke by mistake. I just got angry and over reacted, we're mates Brad." Jack says touching Brad on the shoulder. He slides his shoulder away from Jack's grip. "We stopped being mates when you started hitting the girl I love." Brad blurts out. I take a deep breath at the last bit. He still loves me. Brad still loves me. When Brad went to kiss me he wasn't messing with my head, he actually wanted to kiss me.

"Now, are you going to stop blackmailing or am I gonna have to go to the police?" Brad says going closer to Jack intimidatingly. "I'll stop, I'll stop blackmailing." Jack says handing Brad the shopping bags he took from my kitchen. "I believe these are yours. Sorry." Jack says handing the bags to Brad. He walks off in the opposite direction to me and the boys. I can't help but think about what Brad said. I let the boys walk ahead of me without realising, Brad looks back and smiles. "What's wrong?" Brad says standing still, waiting for me to catchup. "Just thinking about what you said, about - lo- loving me." I stutter. I turn to face him and those all familiar eyes stare into mine. "I meant it Katie. I've been in love with you for years, even before we were together." He says looking into my eyes with emotion. Do I kiss him? Do I play hard to get? Do I deny my feeling towards him? Wait, why did I even think about that last one?

I've always been so easy to get, I'm gonna try a different tactic. Brad leans in and I brush my lips against his, teasing him, before pulling back. "Prove it." I say smiling and walking away. I walk straight ahead and turn my head to see Brad standing there smiling and looking a bit shocked. His eyes lock with mine and I turn away and catchup with the rest of the boys. "I thought you two would kiss and make up back there." James says smirking at me. "He's not forgiven that easily, plus have you ever heard of playing hard to get?" I say smirking back. "No I haven't actually." Connor says looking confused. I look at him shocked and so do James and Tristan. "Don't judge me okay, I'm younger than all of you."  Connor says looking innocent. "I'm actually a month younger than you Con."  I say reminding him. "Yeah but, you're a girl. People must pull you aside in secondary school and tell you about this stuff. I'm just young and innocent."  Connor says smiling.

"Yeah, you're so innocent. You were really innocent when you poured a bucket of water over me when we were thirteen."  I say reminiscing. Me and Con went to secondary school together, that's how I met the others. Connor introduced me when he was asked to be in the band. "Oh yeah, and Miss Carter gave us both detention for being 'disruptive'."  Connor says making speech marks with his hands at the word disruptive. "Yeah, so innocent."  I say laughing. "Okay good point, now are you going to tell me what playing hard to get is?"  Connor says smiling. "When you don't be over available and appear to have other options. It works, it makes the guy jealous and shows that you've got some self respect and won't just date anyone with a pulse."  I say. I lied a little, I don't know if it works. I've never done this before but hopefully it will work.

"That makes sense."  Connor says. We walk in silence for a minute until Tristan declares a race. "Last one to get to Katie's has to buy the rest of us whatever we want from Starbucks!"  Tristan says. I quickly sprint to the direction of my house. It's not helpful that one of my arms isn't functioning but I try. I hear footsteps behind me. I turn my head slightly to see James catching up. I have a sudden burst of energy and run around the corner. I run to my driveway and get my keys out and open the door, catching my breath. About thirty seconds later I hear footsteps running. It's James. "Why are you so fast?"  James asks out of breath. "You're not the only one who goes to the gym, well went to the gym. I can't do the treadmill like this."  I say pointing to my arm. A few seconds later I see Connor and Tristan running side by side up my driveway. "Looks like Brad's buying Starbucks for us."  James says smiling. "Did he know about the race?"  I ask. "Yes, I told him," Connor says, "well I shouted and told him that the last one there has to buy us Starbucks."  Connor says, correcting himself.