Chapter 13

The Next Day

I open my front door after a long day at work and check the time. 5:23pm. Ellie's not home, she's gone to see her parents for two weeks. I dump my handbag on the floor and kick my heels off. Finally comfort at last. I go in the living room and switch the TV on and sit down on the couch. Whilst flicking through the channels I found that NCIS was on. I love NCIS, me being in the business of law just seems to fit. I think I might have a small crush on Tony, even though the sense of humour is sometimes non existent.

I was just halfway through an episode, the one where the daughter kills her mother because she wants to spend more time with her father and her mother was in the way, when I hear the door open and a cheer. It wasn't Ellie, it was Jack. "Katie, Katie. You home?" He calls. "Just coming." I say standing up and walking to the lobby. "Yeah, what is it?" I say smiling. "Guess who got employee of the month and is going to Hawaii for two weeks." Jack says with a smile plastered over his face. "Congratulations. When you leaving?" I ask giving him a hug. "Correction, when are WE leaving?" Jack says and his smile get bigger. Disappointment crosses my face. I won't be let off work when we're this busy. "Jack... I'm sorry, I've got work. I know for a fact I won't be let off. We're really busy. I'm sorry." I say in a sad tone.

"I get it. I get it. You would rather spend time with Brad then your own boyfriend." Jack says. Astonishment swipes all over my face. "What are you speaking about? I would love to go with you it's just I've got work." I say raising my voice slightly. "Don't give me that. I know you two were together about two years ago." Jack says waving his arms in the air. "Yeah, we were. But that was in the past and plus, Brad cheated on ME and I broke up with HIM. I would never do anything to hurt you." I shout. "No. I see the way you two smirk at each other." Jack says. "I smile at all the other boys. We've all got our jokes. What are you going to say next, that I like all the other boys in that way. Because I don't, I only like you in that way Jack. Only you." I say shouting even louder. "The difference is you smile at the others, but you smirk at Brad. I can't listen to you denying it." Jack says turning to walk out the door.

I run after him. "Wait!" I shout managing to grab the cuff of his jacket. He shoves me off managing to to hit my face in the process with the back of his hand really really hard. I step back with the force and put my hand on my cheek. I look up, Jack didn't even look sorry. I put my hand up to hit him back but he grabs my wrist and squeezes it tight. I look up at my wrist and then my hand. It was turning red because of the blood not reaching my hand. Jack squeezed tighter. "Jack you're hurting me. Please stop. You're hurting me." I say taking deep breaths. He pushes my arm down, making it hurt more. "Jack, please stop." I say as tears run down my face. "You're hurting me!" I say slightly shouting. I look into his eyes. They were bulging out of his head and his face was bright red and his teeth were gritted together. He didn't look sorry.

I wince in pain as he twists my arm harder. It won't go any further, if he turns it any more it will break. "Jack, you're going to break my arm, please stop." I say trying not to show him I'm in pain. Then, before letting go, he grips harder. His hand loosens and he throws it down, causing me to hit the ground. Jack then leans in, crouching down, and breathes on my face. "You deserve what you got." He says right into my face. He stands up straight again and smiles smugly at himself. Jack is not in the least bit sorry. He walks down my driveway. I look down at my wrist, it's all red and swollen. I can see blue and brown marks all ready forming. I breathe quickly and heavily before I feel water running down my face from my eyes again.

I try and get up without putting weight on it. I hold my arm up to my chest and manage to get inside my house. I look into the mirror and see a dark blue and green bruise on my face, just on my cheek and under my eye. I cry more at the mess my face is in. I hear a knock at the door, and quickly turn. I'm scared. What if it's Jack wanting to hurt me more? Whoever it is they can't see me in this state. But then again, they might get worried. I reluctantly open the door. I see familiar chocolate brown curls and dark brown eyes looking around. Suddenly his eyes look in my direction. "Oh my god. Katie what happened? What did he do?" Brad says questioning me. "Nothing, I'm fine." I say trying to compose myself. But all I do is breakdown in tears. Brad quickly puts his arms around me and brings me close to his chest. "It's okay. I'm here, I'll look after you Katie. I'll look after you." Brad says putting his chin on my head and holding me tight.