Chapter 13

"What?" Sam exclaimed. "Dean, are you crazy?!"

"I might be."

"That's exactly what Lucifer wants! And need I remind you he's the damn Devil?! You can't just go charging into this!"

Dean rubbed his forehead, sighing. "I have to. It's the only way."

"You've seen what he can do! You've seen what he did to Cas!" Castiel blinked a few times, memories of his death flooding back, but Sam didn't seem to notice. "And I can't let that happen to you. I can't. I won't."

"You got any another ideas? Because if you do, tell me. I'm listening."

"Well, no, but-"

"Right. Well, let's go with this one."

"Dean." Castiel pierced his gaze with a mix of fear and trepidation. "Dean, it's too dangerous. Lucifer has gotten stronger, I'm sure of it. And, not to underestimate you, but there's no chance you'll take him down without going down too."

"You mean I'll die?"

"Most likely, yes."

"Well, at least I'll go down swinging."

He sat back, but was distracted by Castiel's steady gaze. "Please, Dean. I know him. He hasn't come yet because he's not strong enough. I don't want you to get hurt because of him. He wants me not you."

"Cas, whatever it takes to keep that son of a bitch away from you, I'll do it. I won't get hurt." Dean said, although he knew that would be the case.

"Don't make promises you can't keep."

"I can keep this one. I'll find that bastard, ice him and I'll come home." Dean looked at Castiel. "You gotta trust me, Cas. You too, Sam."

Sam was shocked. "Dean, you're the only family I've got left! Dude, if you're gone, I'll never forgive myself! You really want to go on a suicide mission to gank Lucifer?"

"I don't see any other option."

"Well, let's find one! Research, look up the lore, anything but this when we don't know if Lucifer's up to full capacity or not!"

"You have to let me do this."

"I can't. I won't."

Dean looked at his brother steadily, no fear in his eyes. "Sammy."

With that one word, Sam knew that nothing was going to stop Dean. All his excuses fell away, recognizing they were no longer valid. He stood up. "Be careful. Try and come back in one piece, okay?"

"Don't I always?"

"Well......"

"Shut up, bitch."

"Jerk." Sam wrapped his brother in a hug. "If you don't come back in one piece, I will wreck your car."

"You wouldn't dare." Dean gathered his already packed duffel bag and tugged on his leather jacket, ruffling Sam's hair, making him exclaim in frustration and let it down. He was about to head out the door when he paused by Castiel, not sure why.

Castiel tensed, unsure of what was going to happen and not knowing if he really wanted it to. He swallowed his fear and looked his friend in the eye. "Take care of yourself, Dean."

"I'll try." Dean looked like he wanted to say something else, but he chose not to. "You know, Cas, whatever happens to me, look after Sam and look after yourself. For me. Okay?"

"Okay."

They looked at each other for a minute more before Dean enveloped Castiel in a hug. He wanted so badly to comfort him, to hold hands with him, to kiss him, but their bond had been tested too far. If he was going down in the fight with Lucifer, he might as well let Castiel go. "Goodbye, Cas."

"Goodbye, Dean. Take care."

Dean began taking into memory everything about Castiel- his voice, his messy hair, his trenchcoat, his features, the blue eyes he loved. This would most likely be the last time he'd ever see Castiel, and he couldn't take it. He began to say, "Cas, I-" and cut himself off. Without another word, he turned and walked out the door, shutting it behind him.

"Cas?" Castiel turned from staring at the door to Sam. "What was he going to say?"

"I don't know, Sam." But he knew. The words hung unspoken in the air. Cas, I love you.

Hey, guys! So it's been eons since I last updated, and I'm so sorry for that. Just....high school and life in general. This was short because it was a filler chapter. I'm so, so sorry about the Doctor Who reference, but I had to do it. Don't kill me!!!!