Chapter 12: Prince Aladdin

The only warmth Sinbad received when he arrived at the palace was from the sun. The guard he had introduced himself to immediately spat at his feet before eventually leading them into the huge, domed building. Red stayed close to Hook and Jack, not wanting to get caught in a fight that she could sense was soon coming.

The hall they walked through was decorated with colourful and elaborate murals. Golden braziers lined it at regular intervals and the doors they passed by were ornately adorned with gold, silver, and sometimes jewels. The palace screamed of riches and royalty but the guard did not take them to the throne room, as they all assumed he would. Instead, he walked them through an arching doorway to the inner courtyard which was populated with lush plant-life, glittering pools of crystalline water, and several fountains. Above their heads was a great hole through the dome to allow sunlight to filter through. In the middle of the courtyard was a man sparring with two others.

"Wait here," the guard said as he approached the battling men. One of them was dressed in black, loosely-fitting pants, leather sandals, had a leather harness over his bare, tattooed chest, and flowing behind him was a long, red cape. Wrapped around his neck and covering most of his face below the eyes was black silk and over his head was a red turban with a glimmering ruby facing forward. The guard bowed at the man and spoke in a hushed voice, gesturing to Sinbad and his company. The caped man narrowed his dark eyes and sheathed the two scimitars he held into the scabbards at his sides. He waved the guard and the other two men away and waited until he was alone before walking toward Sinbad. His dark eyes had never left the sailor's and hadn't blinked once.

Red felt the tension in the air rise with every silent step he took. If this was the prince he resembled more of an assassin than a future ruler and she couldn't fool herself into thinking he did not intimidate her. Fortunately his attention was fully focused on Sinbad, who only stared back wordlessly, his back straight and his jaw set.

When the man reached the company he briefly glanced at the others. Red felt icy claws clench her spine when his dark eyes studied her. They focused on someone else less than a second later but she still felt the power in that gaze and she wondered if Hook and Sinbad had done wrong in coming here. This man clearly held no love for anyone here. And yet, surprisingly, Bigbad was calm. He was paying close attention to the man's movements but his ears were up and his lips weren't pulled back in a snarl.

"I did not take you for the forgetful sort, cousin," the man said, his strong voice slightly muffled behind the silk wrapped around his face. "I believe that I had made it exceedingly clear that I did not wish you to step foot here ever again. Tell me that this is a mistake and that you will leave immediately and I shall pretend to have never seen you."

Sinbad gulped and took a deep breath. To Red, he almost looked afraid. "I did not forget what you told me, cousin. I am here because I need to be as I have nowhere left to turn to."

"That is of no concern of mine. You ruined any chance at redemption when you broke my trust."

"I know what I did and that you can never forgive me for that but this matter is bigger than me. Someone's life is at stake."

"Yes, yours."

"No, Aladdin, this is not about me!"

"I am a prince now, Sinbad, and you would live much longer if you remembered that."

Hook stepped forward, taking the prince's attention away from Sinbad for the moment. "Excuse me, your highness, but Sinbad tells the truth when he says that we are not here because he wants to seek forgiveness for whatever he did. Believe me, if there was another option I would have taken it. I am Captain Hook, and—"