Chapter 33: Dancing and Despair

The Red Queen's reign was ended.

Alice had eventually overpowered the knave, the Hatter and the Hare had subdued the bandersnatches, and Selvina and Rapunzel had defeated Peter Pan. The soldiers and guards, having no real love for their queen in the first place, immediately dropped their weapons when Alice placed a knife to her throat. The battle for Wonderland was over.

"I truly did not think this plan would work," the Cheshire cat said, cupping his chin in one paw as he floated in midair. "It shows just how surprising Wonderland truly can be."

"I am flattered by your confidence in our abilities, Chesh," Selvina said dryly. "But it looks like we won!"

"Aye, that we did," said the March Hare as he and the Hatter approached them. "But we took an unfortunate casualty." He then produced his shattered teacup from under his coat and wiped a tear from his eye. "It was my favourite one and Pan broke it! The villain also left a nasty little cut on my chest, damn him."

"So that's what I saw dripping down Pan's arm after he stabbed you?" Selvina asked in confusion. "It was tea and not blood?"

"Blood?" the Hare asked, bewildered. "Blood is red, dear girl, and the tea I drink is more of a delightful golden brown with a hint of green. Perhaps you need an eye test."

"A fine soldier she would make, eh?" asked the Hatter with a chuckle. "She can't even tell the difference between red and green."

"She would make a most disappointing soldier, indeed."

Selvina rolled her eyes and walked over to the throne, where the Red Queen sat, bound at the wrists and ankles and shouting out curses and injustices and complaints. Alice stood beside her and was speaking to Dodgson for a moment before the large dodo hurried away. The blonde gave Selvina a grin before shoving a rag into the queen's mouth, silencing her incessant cries.

"I noticed that you and Rapunzel took down Peter Pan," Alice said after she left the queen to approach Selvina. "That must not have been an easy feat."

Selvina nodded, feeling proud of Pan's defeat and yet still harbouring fear, lest he somehow escape. Though he had fallen off the wall and cracked his back on a wooden bench, he was somehow still alive. "The magic allowing him to fly and move faster ran out. It was the only reason Rapunzel and I managed."

"Nevertheless, it is done. The Red Queen is dethroned and Peter Pan is defeated. It is a time to celebrate! Look happy, Selvina! Smile!"

Selvina managed a weak grin but it soon vanished. She glanced back at Pan, wrapped tightly in ropes, locked in a hanging cage, and guarded by a dozen armoured soldiers with all manner of weapons at their disposal. Arrows, bolts, and spears were pointed up at him and swords, axes, and maces were held at the ready. There would be no mistakes this time. He would not escape unnoticed.

"Dodgson has returned!" Alice exclaimed.

Selvina turned around to witness Dodgson leading dozens of the queen's workers out into the courtyard. Upon catching sight of their former ruler, many of the servants ran up and spit in her face or called out vile expletives. Selvina would have normally found the treatment rather harsh but the queen had not been a respectable person in any sense and her former subjects were allowed some form of revenge. Among the throng of freed servants was Wendy and she rushed into Selvina's arms as soon as she saw her. The two women embraced warmly, overjoyed to finally be back together.

"I can't believe you did this, Selvina," Wendy said, beaming joyfully. "You're a savior!"

Selvina blushed and brushed aside Wendy's comment. "I am not... I didn't do it on my own, either. I couldn't have done it without my friends."