Chapter 26: Cutter's Song

Alice blinked. "And how do you expect us to do that? I want to fight as much as you do, Selvina, if not more, but we can't do it on our own."

"We won't be," Selvina replied confidently, striking a proud pose.

Alice raised an eyebrow in confusion. Selvina grinned back knowingly as a pair of blue, vertically-slit eyes appeared over Alice's head, soon followed by a toothy smile and then a striped cat's body.

"Welcome back, dear Alice," Cheshire cat said in his wispy voice. "The short hair suits you well."

Alice looked up and lit up with joy. She quickly grabbed the large cat and hugged him tightly. "Chesh! You clever feline, you have a plan don't you? I know you do. I missed you so much!"

Chesh disappeared in a puff of smoke and reappeared floating in the air. "As did I, my dear, but there will be a time for pleasantries later. I am here to tell you of a plan that I most certainly do have. It is a wild plan and it may fail but it is a wonderful plan all the same."

"Well, what is it?"

Chesh grinned from ear to ear and glanced around the kitchen before gesturing for Alice, Selvina, Wendy, and Dodgson, who had stood off to the side, to come closer. He then whispered to them of the impossible plan.

****

Morning came and with it there was a great cacophony of trumpets, drums, and various other instruments as the queen walked out from the castle to the inner courtyard. She took delight in seeing all her loyal subjects gathered in the semi-circular array of benches that had been erected for the event. There must have been hundreds, if not thousands of them, she thought. All of them were hers, from the oldest hag to the youngest babe. She ruled over them all and nothing in the world was greater than to have power over others. Power was everything and without it one was nothing. Her stupid sister had tried to tell her otherwise but she wasn't the one without a head. She had it all while her sister had nothing. She was now nothing more than a rotting corpse, headless, lifeless, and forgotten.

The Queen of Hearts hugged herself pleasantly, enjoying the warmth provided by the golden coat she wore. It resembled a fur coat but instead it was made of the blonde hair of all the women she had captured and been offered by Peter Pan. It was warm and beautiful and though this morning was crisp she'd have worn it regardless. Special occasions such as beheadings demanded she wore her very best outfit and there was nothing she valued more than her great coat of golden hair.

The queen climbed up on her richly adorned throne and sat on its plush velvet cushions. Such were the luxuries of royalty. She clapped her hands and a footstool was brought to her where she then rested her feet and relaxed in complete comfort. She glanced to her left, where her loyal knave stood, silent and watchful. The queen then looked to her right, where Peter Pan floated in the air cross-legged. He met her gaze and gave her a wink.

"It is good that you stayed to see this," she said to him. "I always love a good beheading in the morning. The rest of the day just feels so much better."

"I agree," Pan said with a nod. "A healthy dose of violence for breakfast keeps me well-energized. I hope that this splendid morning leads to an even greater day once I find those fairies."

The Queen of Hearts waved at Pan dismissively. "You will find them, Pan. You always do. Once you do, I will receive more golden-haired traitors, won't I?"

Pan nodded. "Of course, you will. You have my word."

The queen practically danced in her seat. More blondes meant more hair and that meant more golden clothes. She already had a wardrobe with a few vests, pants, gloves, and scarfs but she could use another coat. It was always wise to have a spare.