Chapter 29: The Beauty, The Beast, and the Blade

"I am so sorry for this, Belle."

Don't be, Belle mentally replied. You were the victim of Gaphir's magic. I know you'd have never done anything like that otherwise.

"I should have been stronger. I should have had the strength to resist him!"

Adam, your weakness is magic and you did as well as you could. I can wish to breathe underwater all I want but no matter how hard I try I'll never do it. Don't berate yourself over something you have no control over.

"But it is my fault that we have no future."

Our future may end today but my love for you will pass on through the ages. I know not if we come back from death as something or someone else but if we do, I will find you again. I promise you that in that case, Adam, in this life or the next, we shall be together again. I enjoyed every moment of our relationship and cherished each minute of peace that we had.

"I only wish that we had had more of them..."

I wish for many things too, Adam, but this is the life that the gods have given us and I think we did as well as we possibly could.

"You are truly a wonderful woman, Belle. Even now, when the executioner's blade thirsts for us, you can fill me with warmth. My deepest regret is that I was never given the chance to hold you and do the same for you."

Your mere presence has always warmed me, Adam. You saved my life many times over and showed me that love can come from the most unlikely of places. Our situation may not be the most ideal but I would much rather die having known and loved you than having never met you at all.

"I agree with you with all that I am, Belle."

The sound of footsteps could be heard down the hall, heading directly for Belle's cell.

"They are coming for us," Beast said with a sigh of deep sadness. "I love you, Belle."

And I love you, Adam, Belle replied, meaning the words with all of her heart and soul.

A dozen guards appeared before the cell, led by Prince Aladdin. The guards were all heavily armoured and carried large, two-handed axes, prepared for anything. Prince Aladdin bore one of his enchanted blades in one hand and the keys to Belle's cell in the other.

"Your final day has come," Aladdin said behind the crimson shawl he always wore around his lower face. "These guards all possess enchanted axes thus I suggest you come with us quietly lest you wish to feel their bite."

Belle, her head bowed low, sighed and nodded. "I will come without a fight, your highness. I accept my punishment and will offer no resistance."

"Good," Aladdin said before he unlocked the door and entered the cell. He then unlocked the shackles keeping Belle pinned to the ground and helped her rise to her feet. Without another word he turned and left the cell. Belle followed close behind, wincing as her aching bones, having remained in the same position for days, began to move.

"How can this man be related to Sinbad?" Beast asked with a snarl.

We killed people, Adam, Belle reasoned. We committed murder.

"We were set up! Gaphir manipulated us and turned me into nothing more than a raging animal and yet we are the ones getting punished!"

He did no such thing in Our Lady and innocent people died there too. We were only saving ourselves but the fact remains that innocent lives were lost.