Chapter 34: The Impossible Day

"These sails are going to rip!" Captain Hook called out to Sinbad. "Get men up to them now and tell them to keep an eye on any tears that may arise."

Sinbad nodded and relayed the order. At once half a dozen crewmen ran up the shrouds and examined the bulging sails. A great wind had suddenly appeared and the ship was sailing so quickly that Captain Hook worried the sails would tear right off. The powerful gusts were beneficial in drastically cutting down time to the destination but it would all be for nought if the ship's source of power was completely destroyed. Hook had spare canvas belowdecks but repairs would take time and he didn't have enough canvas to replace all the sails.

Everyone had eventually managed to sleep after Tinkerbelle's declaration and now that everyone was rested and energized, Hook had them working hard. With the fairy as a guide, Jack was not needed in the crow's nest and instead helped monitor the sails. Sinbad relayed orders as a good quartermaster always did. Red and Cindy were cleaning debris belowdecks from the minor damage they had sustained in their escape from Arababyl. Belle had transformed into Beast and he aided the men patch up the damage to the hull belowdecks, his great strength aiding immensely in hauling supplies and pounding planks into place. Bigbad was up at the bow, nose to the air and ears perked high, scanning the air and the waves for any pirates or pursuing Noyran warship. Captain Hook was mostly certain that no warships pursued him but he had not become a skilled captain by taking too many chances. If Bigbad sniffed out any enemy he would let out a howl and the entire crew would immediately arm itself and be ready. So close to Selvina, Hook did not want to be slowed down by anything.

The wind, to Hook's amazement, was constant and steady and kept Marjeneh's Grace sailing ahead at a pace he had never achieved before. The ship's speed was almost impossible to comprehend and, according to Tinkerbelle, if the vessel did not slow down it would reach the island in a single day.

As if the gods were on Hook's side, the wind did indeed keep up for the entire day. Even Sinbad found it incredibly strange. "This rare eastern gale is carrying us across the water like a Swordanian sled dog. I've never experienced such a thing before, captain."

"Neither have I, Sinbad," replied Hook, glancing up at the massive sails and their rigidly taught binding ropes. The wind was so powerful that parts of the ship were vibrating and trembling, stressed to their limits. "If it blows any stronger I fear this ship will break apart."

Sinbad looked up at Hook's head and gave his friend a wink. "At least you smartly kept your hat in your cabin. I doubt even Jack would be able to retrieve it now."

"Somehow I doubt that, old friend. That kid's wanted my hat ever since he joined my crew. No wind in all existence would tear it away from him."

Sinbad laughed for a moment before brushing long strands of hair out of his face. "If only he had saved my turban..."

Hook smiled but it vanished quickly as he noticed something on the horizon. Dark clouds formed a thick, black layer over the line between sky and ocean and brief flashes of lightning could already be witnessed. The storm was still miles away but spanned the entire western horizon, offering no hope of avoiding it.

Sinbad furrowed his brows in confusion. "That storm isn't moving, captain."

"Indeed. With a wind this powerful one would assume it could blow storm clouds away. How is that it can carry this ship like a leaf but that storm remains in place?"

"Could it be the storm creating the wind and perhaps dragging us in?"

"It would have to be an extremely powerful storm for that. This wind has been going on all day and we've covered dozens, if not hundreds, of miles already. No storm is that powerful."