Chapter 24: Alice in Chains

Selvina's heart stopped and she held her breath as Pan slowly walked down the red carpet toward the throne. He had a disturbing grin on his face and was looking straight ahead at the queen. He had not glanced at Selvina once. It was as if he didn't see her though Selvina knew better. Even he had to show the queen some respect.

"Peety Weety!" the queen cried out with glee. "It is good to see you!"

Peter Pan bowed politely. "It is always a pleasure to see you too, great one. I have seen many ugly things in my travels but you remind me that there is at least one beautiful thing left in this world."

Such a charmer, Selvina thought with disgust. Her heart was still racing but she had calmed slightly. Selvina was still deeply disturbed as to why he had not even looked in her direction. What was he up to? Surely he couldn't be fooled by her new hair colour, could he?

"You are here for your reward, I hear?" the queen asked.

"Yes," Pan replied with a nod of his orange head. "That is if my servants are serving you well, of course."

"Indeed they are! The blonde one has given me much hair and that brunette is working the kitchens. She makes delicious stew and the best buns I've had in quite some time. She could smile a little more, though."

"That pleases me greatly."

Wendy was working the kitchens, Selvina noted. She was alive, though apparently unhappy. It wasn't difficult to discover why but she hoped that she didn't lose herself to depression. She needed her ready to escape once she found her.

"Now for your reward," the queen said. "You wish to find those fairies, right?"

"I most certainly do."

"The latest reports have them around the south-eastern section of the forest. More to the south, though. I wish you the best of luck in finding them. You are free to take as many as you like."

"You are too kind. I thank you for this news, your highness."

And then it happened.

Pan snapped his gaze directly at Selvina and grinned wider. He then pointed a finger at her and said, "You have an imposter, my queen."

"What?" she exclaimed in shock. "Where?"

"Her!" Pan said, jabbing his finger in Selvina's direction.

Selvina was petrified with ice-cold fear. She saw no way out of this predicament. The guards across the throne room, guarding the door, were watching the scene intently, their weapons held at the ready. She couldn't run that way. The knave's shadow loomed over her, blocking that path of escape. She looked up at the queen, whose entire body was shaking in anger.

"What does he mean by that, Samantha?"

Selvina decided then that if she went down she wouldn't do so sitting in fear. She stood up and clenched her hands into fists. "The name is Selvina and I don't know what he means by that. I come here to be your servant; that is all!"

"She is here for her friends," Pan said with a chuckle. "The two girls I brought were her friends and now she thinks she can take them away from you."

"Take them away from me?" asked the irate queen. "FROM ME?!"

"Pan is lying! I don't know those two girls! I am here for you, queen of queens!"

"She is a trickster," Pan said to the queen, his grin widening even more. "She cannot be trusted. That's not even her real hair colour!"