Chapter 3

Loretta had a plan. She was going to sneak out of the house so she could pick up Elvis and walk to school with him without having to drag Donald around with her. Herman and Jackie were old enough to look after him. She'd even wager that Donald was old enough to go by himself.

But it hadn't worked. Loretta was two steps from the door when her mother's voice rang behind her, reminding her that she had to take Donald with her. Clara Webb even went as far as asking what it was all about, but Loretta refused to tell her anything beyond, 'I just forgot'.

So she had to drag Donald along after all and all the way to the Presley cabin he squeaked, "That's the wrong way. That ain't the way to school. You're gonna pick up that boy. You didn't ask Mommy if you could–"

Finally, Loretta snapped. "You shut up now, you little turd, or I'm gonna shut ya up.

You just don't want me walkin' with anyone but you."

"I don't wanna walk with you, Mommy makes me. I never wanna walk with you again and I'm gonna tell Mommy how mean you are. You're so mean."

"I don't care what you think of me. You're a real selfish little boy. Elvis is new here and he don't know anyone. His mother walks him to school in the mornins. How would you feel if mommy walked you to school?"

Donald stopped his complaining. He stood, his feet rooted in one place and pursed his lips as he contemplated. "Not good," he finally said.

"You think Elvis does? He's a lot older than you, so it bothers him. I'm helpin' him not get made fun of."

Donald stayed silent the rest of the way. When they reached the Presley cabin, Loretta knocked on the door. The door slid open and a man poked his head through. His face contorted in confusion at the sight of the two of them. "Yes, young lady?"

"I'm here to pick Elvis up," Loretta said. "This is the Presley place, right?"

"Yes... " He stepped aside to fully open the door. "And you are?"

"I'm Loretta Webb, sir." When Donald cleared his throat she added, "And that's Donald Webb. I talked to your wife yesterday."

"You go to school with Elvis?"

"Yes, sir. I'm in the 8th grade. I just...look old, I reckon." Loretta didn't need a mirror to know that she was blushing.

"Loretta ain't nothin' but a dadgum kid," Donald chimed.

Loretta shot her little brother a glare, fighting the urge to kick or smack him in front of Mr. Presley. "I'll wait here for him, alright?"

"Hmm." Vernon walked away. A few minutes later, Elvis came rushing out with his books and cup. "Bye, Mama, Daddy. I'll see you after school."

His hand, somehow the same size as Loretta's despite their age difference, grabbed hers to drag her away. Loretta seized Donald by the scruff of his shirt.

"Did she say yes?" Loretta asked.

Elvis dropped her hand as if it were on fire upon realizing what he had done in his haste. Gladys Presley appeared in the doorway, worry written all over her face.

"You take good care of him, girl," she said to Loretta. "And Elvis—"

"I'll be good," Elvis said. "We're just gonna walk to school."

"I'll see you after school." Gladys' words were brushed with a shimmer of concern.

"I'll bring him home, Miss Presley," Loretta said. "That alright?"

Gladys' head bobbed up and down. Elvis was off in a flash, leaving Loretta and Donald to catch up. Once the cabin was out of sight, Elvis ran back towards them with a wide grin on his face.