Chapter 30

Once upon a time- sometimes it felt like yesterday sometimes like it had been lifetime ago- a young boy and girl lay on the floor in a cabin in Kentucky, singing along to the Kentucky Waltz until the boy's father burst into the room

Now the same boy and girl, now a man and a woman with rings on their fingers to symbolize that they belonged to each other and no one else, stood backstage at the Grand Old Opry and listened to Bill Monroe perform the first song they sang together.

Elvis was as mesmerized as his wife, but for another reason. He saw her as she looked that day, but through the eyes of a twenty-one-year-old man rather than the boy of twelve or thirteen he had been. He saw her as a woman then because she'd seemed so grown compared to him. But now he saw her as the girl she had truly been. Her hair wasn't long then, it just brushed against her shoulders and her mother made her clip back the front part of it when they went to school. She'd buy red nail polish and paint her nails though it always was half chipped from the chores she had to do. Not quite a girl and not quite a woman with stockings bunched up at her ankles and her mother's red lipstick.

He wanted to be her husband even then. His hand slipped into hers and she squeezed the digits without looking up at him. Bill Monroe had her attention now but Elvis Presley was the man she loved.

"Elvis, my watch stopped," said Junior. Elvis looked down at the watch that was thrust in his face. Its second hand was moving backwards and forwards in the same spot, pulsing like a butterfly's wings, flickering like an eyelash.

He expected Loretta to scold Junior for interrupting so rudely but she didn't even turn around.

"And you're tellin' me why?" Elvis asked, grasping Junior's wrist to get a closer look at it.

"Never mind," Junior muttered. "You think I could run over to Tootsie's for a bit?"

Elvis furrowed his forehead. "To Tootsie's, huh? I thought you were gonna stay and hear us sing."

"I can do that at Tootsie's."

"Loretty, what do you think?"

"I don't care." Loretta still didn't turn around. "He can do what he wants."

Junior wasted no time rushing away.

Bill Monroe exited the stage, walking right by them when Loretta squeaked, "We're from Kentucky too, sir."

The man turned, guitar clutched in his hand and a smile on his face. "That so?"

"Yes. We'd sing your songs on the radio when we was kids. We're gonna sing one of yours tonight."

Bill nodded, approached and shook both of their hands. "I wish you young folks the best of luck then."

Elvis managed a 'Thank you'.

They couldn't possibly be here. Things like this happened to other people, to the lucky ones you wished you could be like. The ones that were somehow special. They weren't special other than to each other.