Chapter 26

They way Elvis felt holding his very own record- with a proper A and B side- in his hands couldn't be described

They way Elvis felt holding his very own record- with a proper A and B side- in his hands couldn't be described. He swooped down, pulled Loretta into his arms and placed a smacking kiss on her lips to celebrate the accomplishment.

"We're gonna celebrate proper tonight," he whispered in her ear, making Loretta smother a laugh.

They were given ten boxes of one hundred records and unfortunately it just hit Elvis how many there truly were when he saw them.

"There is no way we're gonna fit that all in the car, is there?" Loretta voiced the concerns going through his mind.

"We'll see. We'll get as many as we can in there first. Grab a box."

She wordlessly did as she was told. Elvis, meanwhile, grabbed two. Once they were situated in the trunk, he came to the conclusion that they could fit eight if they moved all of their other things, including the filthy cooler, into the back seat.

They returned for more boxes, running straight into Jim Henderson. Upon seeing them, the man looked like a child on Christmas morning.

"There you are!"

"Yes, sir," Elvis said. "We're gettin' our records today. We ordered one thousand of them to sell."

"Are you going to send any of them to radio stations?"

"We've been tryin' to get a list of those but they wouldn't give us one."

"They don't hand them out to everyone just like that. They don't want folks running around, trying to get their records played at every radio station in the country. But that's exactly what you guys should do. Don't just send them, they'll throw them out. You need to go there yourselves and you need to stand your ground and not leave until you heard them play your song. How long are you planning to stay in town?"

"We're movin' on as soon as we can," Elvis said.

"How long could you possibly hold out if I told you that I'm gonna get your song played on the radio to get you started?"

"You will?" Loretta squeaked, a large grin splitting her face in half.

Elvis, however, was less than convinced. "How would you make that happen?"

"Ever heard a radio commercial that had some fitting music playing in the background?"

"Yes, sir," said Elvis. "But what's that got to do with our song?"

"Well, it would be fitting for a number of things. House repair that type of thing. If you're lucky, people are gonna call in and ask to hear the song without the commercial."

"Why would you do this for us?" Elvis asked.

"Because you have real potential and you're a fine looking couple. I'd wanna pretend that it don't matter any but the truth is that it really does. Especially with TV and all that. She's got nice, dark hair that's gonna look  real fine on TV."