Chapter 34

They never expected Elvis to be drafted. It was ridiculous in a sense, because they should have been well aware of the possibility.

The first thought that entered Loretta's mind was 'This has to be a mistake' because no one got drafted in early March. That was until they realized that the letter was postmarked December 1957.

Elvis didn't lash out in anger and Loretta didn't cry. Instead they choked down their breakfast as fast as they could- Elvis because he just happened to eat in such a way when he was hungry and Loretta so she'd be done by the time Erin Love wanted to be fed.

Elvis went back to bed and Loretta took care of the baby. They could almost pretend that everything was all right, at least until Gladys Presley showed up. Elvis was still asleep and after taking one look at Loretta, whose face revealed eyes ringed with unshed tears, Gladys knew that something wasn't right.

"Loretta, what's wrong?" Gladys demanded without preamble. "Where's Elvis?"

"He's asleep."

"Is the baby..." Her eyes flew to Erin Love, who was fast asleep in her mother's arms.

"She's fine.. it's..." Loretta couldn't even make herself say the words. She picked up the draft notice and handed it to Gladys. "You might wanna sit down."

"My baby," Gladys sobbed around the hand covering her mouth. "Oh dear Lord."

"Mama?" Elvis' voice drifted into their ears. He timed his entrance into the room perfectly. Loretta looked at him, with his hair tousled on top of his head and his pajama pants low on his hips. Tears gathered in her eyes as she thought of spending two years without him.

"This can't be right," Gladys said, her voice shaking.

"Think they meant another Elvis Presley? Which one?"

Loretta's head snapped toward her husband at his sarcastic remark. "Elvis-"

"Stay here with Loretta and the baby," Elvis said to his mother. "I just... I gotta... just stay here with them."

"Where are you goin'?" Gladys demanded.

"I'll be back-"

"Elvis-"

As if on cue, Erin Love began to cry. Loretta undid the buttons of her shirt. She was beyond thankful that Erin accepted her breast rather than giving a repeat performance of yesterday's crying fit. Meanwhile, Elvis slipped into his shoes.

"Elvis, don't do nothin'-" Elvis cut his wife off.

"I'm gonna be back. I just have to go. Stay here and take care of the baby."

Gladys opened her mouth to beg Elvis to stay, but he fled so quickly, the slamming of the door reverberated through the room before she could utter a single word.

♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆

Elvis drove in circles for hours on end, exhaustion coupled with fear robbing him of clarity of thought. Finally, he stopped the car in a deserted parking lot and buried his face in his hands. He wanted to cry, to scream, to rage, but his body refused to let him.

A small eternity seemed to have passed when he finally raised his head again. His eyes landed on the pay phones clustered together in the distance. He was seized by a sudden desire to share his misery with someone and the first person that came to mind was Jim Henderson. He scraped together a few coins before making his way over to the pay phones.

Elvis was the only person in the vicinity, and he was glad for that.

"Hello?" his manager's voice answered.