Chapter 16

Gladys seemed to enjoy having Loretta back almost as much as Elvis did. Loretta resumed her cooking lessons. 

Elvis talked to Loretta about Pete and Sue, half afraid that she would be jealous of the friendship he had developed with them. Loretta, however, didn't seem to mind in the slightest. She had her time with Elvis and Pete and Sue had theirs, as long as said time was in equilibrium she wasn't going to complain. When he asked her to meet his friends though, Loretta was reluctant. Elvis didn't push it; it was her prerogative to not meet his friends.

And like that, the weeks wore on and turned into months. The snow in the hollers melted away completely and the weather became pleasant once again. Elvis still didn't get a hold of the ring he'd promised Loretta. The money wasn't there and he wanted it to be not just any ring, but one Loretta could be proud to own.

Her 18th birthday was rapidly approaching and Elvis made a silent promise to himself that he would get her the ring for the occasion by any means necessary. He took on an evening job ushering at the theater down in Paintsville, giving half the money to his parents and saving the other half for Loretta's present. He kept checking the thrift stores after school, sometimes with Pete and Sue in tow.

They teased him about Loretta, in a good natured way, but teased him all the same. The Paintsville High School talent show was announced in early April before Loretta's birthday.

The day of the announcement, Elvis walked into the music room to meet Pete and Sue, both of whom did not hesitate to pounce on him.

"You're gonna be in that talent contest, right?" Sue said.

Elvis shrugged. "I might.."

Sue and Pete exchanged a look at that.

"Elvis," Pete said, " I got no idea if anyone ever told you before, but you're a pretty damn good singer."

Elvis didn't respond. He did always know that he could sing pretty well, probably better than many if not most other people. But that was in Mississippi. Up in the hollers, most people could sing rather well. He thought Loretta to be every bit as good as him.

"I wouldn't know what to sing," Elvis finally said. Pete and Sue didn't speak at first, instead allowing his lame excuse to settle in the air. If he did want to be a singer, which he secretly did very much, he would have to start somewhere. The last time he had any type of exposure outside church and school was a contest back in Mississippi. He sang 'Old Shep', strumming along on his guitar, which he was barely able to play at all then.

"You could invite that girl Loretta," Pete said, causing Elvis' eyes to snap toward him. "Cause you and her are goin' with each other now, right?"

"Oh yeah, we're goin' with each other." Elvis blushed, thinking of the passionate kisses they had exchanged yesterday night.

"Don't you think it would turn the girl on to hear her man sing?"

"I wouldn't know if she'd come."

"Why the hell not?"

"There's some things Loretta don't like to do. She's from the hollers so... some places in town she don't like to go to so we don't."

"Is there really a Loretta, man?"

Elvis narrowed his eyes. "Yes, there is. I done told you why you ain't met her yet. Maybe you will but I won't make her if she don't want to."

"What if you sing her favorite song?" Sue suggested, sounding cheerful. "Wouldn't she like that?"

"But I don't know what her favorite song is right now. She listens to the Opry all the time but when she sings she'll just sing the mountain songs."