Chapter 42

Loretta sat with her head propped up on the delicate curve of her arm. She watched Erin Love stuff scrambled eggs into her mouth and tried to piece together everything that happened in the last few hours.

She fainted and once she came to, Elvis drove them to the hospital. He wanted to leave Erin Love with his parents next door, but Loretta refused, clutching the baby to her chest instead.

Loretta knew that they were at the hospital but whatever happened there escaped her mind. They did stay for a long time, until after sunrise. Erin Love, who'd been in the same diaper for much too long, needed a bath.

She always thought that, if tragedy struck, she would scream and cry and sob until she had no more tears left. Instead, she sat in silence, cloaked in a heavy feeling. Every once in a while she'd think to herself 'Why am I feeling this way?', and then she'd remember.

How could she forget, even for one second, that her daddy was gone?

Loretta's heart lurched as she remembered the last words he said to her on Erin Love's birthday. She swallowed, washing a rush of emotion down her throat. She was never the first to say 'I love you' and she didn't recall even saying it back. What in the world kept her from saying those words? She left all the words she would now pour out to him unsaid.

Why didn't they go to see them instead of following Elvis to Nashville and Texas?

If only she could go back.

"Loretta?" She turned toward the somber figure in the doorway.

"Hmm?"

"Do you wanna sleep for a bit?"

"And what about Erin Love? She needs me. She don't understand."

The girl in question threw her empty plate and let out childish laughter.

"Erin Love," Loretta snapped.

"I'll get it." Elvis picked up the plate and scraps of scrambled eggs before lifting Erin Love out of her high chair. "Do you wanna play with your chicken?' She beamed at him. "Let's play with chicken. Chicken wants to play."

Elvis walked down the hall with Erin Love in his arms, singing, "Sugar in the mornin', sugar in the evenin', sugar at suppertime, be my little sugar and love me all the time."

Their baby laughed with delight. When he returned, Erin Love was wearing her shoes and coat.

They were leaving. Panic engulfed Loretta. She thought that he'd walk Erin Love up and down the living room with her chicken toy.

"I'll go with you." The words shot out of her as her body shot out of the chair.

"Don't you–"

"No. I'm gonna go with you." Loretta rushed to get her shoes and coat.

It was not quite spring and not quite winter, the air cool but without the bite of winter days gone by.

Spring was on its way but her father would never see the sun again, nor feel its rays warm his skin. Elvis held Erin Love's hand as she toddled beside them, stopping every few steps to watch the wings attached to her chicken toy move. She clucked along with the toy.

Her world wasn't like theirs, but simpler. Full of toys, treats and kind adults who cuddled her to chase away any pain or unhappiness she felt.

"Can you say 'chicken', sweet cheerio?" Elvis asked their child. "Say chick-en."

"Ick-en," Erin Love obliged him for once, grinning up at Elvis.

"That's right. Very good. Good girl."