Chapter 39

Listen to Silver Bells by Elvis or Loretta for the "full experience".  I was gonna add a video but I wouldn't want anyone to not see Erin Love's dress because of the video.

Life went on and Loretta began to feel better despite the occasional bouts of morning sickness. Elvis went out on the road several times, but Loretta and Erin Love stayed at home. Gladys, Vernon and Minnie Mae moved into an apartment down the hall just before Thanksgiving. This meant that Gladys paid them even more unannounced visits but when Elvis wasn't home Loretta didn't mind. She certainly was glad for the extra help with Erin Love and the chores around the house.

Jim suggested that Elvis stay home throughout most of December. He promised to get him a few local gigs, a day trip or two to Nashville.

Elvis got them a red Palomino Plastic Furniture couch with a curved center section. It could sit at least ten people comfortably but took up quite a bit of space in their living room, which already contained a writing desk, Erin Love's playpen, an armchair, a double bookshelf, a Hi-Fi console stereo, a television set, stacks of records and an end table with a telephone on it. Loretta remembered how empty the apartment was when they moved in. Back then, she used to wonder how they'd ever be able to make it homey. Now it was nothing short of a miracle that they were able to fit a Christmas tree in the room at all.

They were the first people on either side of the family to have a fake tree standing in their living room. The Webbs, Vernon and Minnie Mae found it rather strange but Gladys approved. Erin Love was crawling and ready to stuff everything within sight into her mouth. No candles either, but twinkling electric lights Erin Love liked to stare at when Loretta rocked her on the couch at night.

Loretta was rather proud of the embroidered stocking she had made for their child. They didn't have a fireplace, so she hung it over Erin Love's crib.

In those pre-Christmas days Loretta finally forgot about the bad blood she had passed on to her beloved child altogether.

Though they were still living in an apartment, they had more money to spare than anyone else in their family. Therefore, they were going to get a nice gift for every single family member living in Kentucky and wire some money to the Mississippi relatives.

Determined to finish off their Christmas shopping in one day, they decided that a trip to a larger city with a shopping mall was in order. They didn't have the slightest idea what they would get for anyone but Brenda Gail, who had been eying the new Revlon Fashion Dolls for the last few months.

Loretta wanted to get Erin Love a dress and a proper pair of shoes so they could have her picture taken. They would give copies to both sets of grandparents along with their presents.

Right after breakfast, Elvis carried the stroller to the car while Loretta bundled Erin Love up in several layers of clothing.

"We better get her dress and shoes first. Before her nap time," Loretta said while bouncing Erin Love in her arms. Frank Sinatra sang about being home for Christmas on the car radio and she smiled. "Do you think we're ever gonna meet Frank?"

"We might. And you can't call him 'Frank'."

Loretta stuck her tongue out at him. "Well, I just did so what are ya gonna do now?"

Elvis rolled his eyes. For several minutes, Loretta tended to the baby and he kept his eyes on the road. It was Loretta who broke the silence.

"Do you think Erin Love got enough hair for little ribbons?"

"No."

She gathered all of her child's hair on top of her head. "Maybe one ribbon? I think we should try."