Chapter 35

Jim advised Elvis to stay put in Kentucky while the military considered his hardship case. He got himself a few local gigs and when Junior returned from Mississippi, the two of them went to work fixing up the camper. Loretta wanted to go back on the road with them as soon as possible. The camper was less than ideal for the three of them and it simply wouldn't do if they had a baby with them.

They bought a thick curtain and installed a rod to create a small private area where Loretta would be able to feed the baby without everyone having to leave the camper every time Erin Love got hungry. The camper did have bunks, but they hadn't been using them since they would have had to purchase mattresses.

Elvis fixed up one of the bottom bunks for Junior and put two mattresses for Loretta and himself in the new private area. He figured that Erin Love would sleep with them at night but she'd also sleep during the day. He bought a cheap crib, not nearly as nice as the one their fathers had made, and placed it in the coolest corner of the camper.

They even tried to repair the stove but weren't successful. Thankfully Erin Love would be satisfied with breast milk for the time being.

When Elvis finally let his wife see it Loretta was overflowing with excitement. The baby slept in her arms as she walked through the camper, commenting on small details a man wouldn't have paid attention to.

"Do you ever put that baby down?" Junior asked.

Loretta glared at him. She'd been criticized over her so called overprotective parenting often enough and wasn't about to take it from someone who didn't even have a child.

Junior threw his hands up in the air. "Alright, I'm sorry I asked. It's gonna be pretty damn hard on the road if you don't ever put that kid down."

The curve of Loretta's jaw steeled. "I do put her down. But you tell me where I'm 'pposed to put her down here?"

"How about that crib over there?"

"If I put her down she's gonna wake up. I finally got her to fall asleep." As if on cue, Erin Love's eyes flew open and she whimpered.

"Well done, Junior," Elvis said with a laugh.

"You wanna hold her?" Loretta asked.

Junior's eyes grew wide. "Me?"

"Yes, you. Who else? Elvis holds her all the time. You're gonna have to help us take care of her on the road so you gotta know how to hold her, how to change diapers-"

"I'm not changing any diapers," Junior said.

"So what are you gonna do if she's all dirty and we're on stage or somethin'?"

"E doesn't change diapers."

"At least he tried."

Loretta sat down next to Junior with the baby in her arms. Her eyes still darted around to take in as much of the camper as possible. Erin Love, who had just started smiling a few days ago, smiled at Junior.

"Hi," Junior said uncertainly. He offered her one finger, which she grasped. "She is kinda cute, ain't she?"

"She's beautiful," Elvis said.

"Who does she look like to you?" Loretta asked. "Like me or like Elvis?"

Junior looked at the baby for a long time. "Hell if I know, who do you want me to say she looks like?"

"Never mind," Loretta said. "Now you hold her, and watch her head." Ignoring the panicked expression on Junior's face, she placed the baby in his arms.

"What does W stand for?" Junior asked randomly.

"What?" Elvis and Loretta exclaimed in unison.

"Well, I saw some of those things you sent out to the army and she put Loretta W. Presley. Or it mighta been V, who knows with her chicken scratch. Loretta Winifred? That would sure suit ya."