Chapter 1

I couldn't find this place anywhere. Who knew that such a small place like the Shire could be such a maze? Next time that Wizard wants us all to meet somewhere, I'll have to remember to ask for more specific directions.

It was finally happening. After all these years of living in grief and exile, we were going home. We were taking back our mountain. I would take my company of Dwarves, march upon Erebor, and restore the glory of my people once more! That is, of course, if I could find this damned Hobbit hole!

It was Gandalf's idea to find a burglar. He suggested that someone as stealthy as a Hobbit would have a much better chance against the dragon. I'd never thought much of Hobbits before, but I would not question the Wizard's judgement...yet. I'd have to meet this fellow first, though I'm already sure that I know what to expect.

Gandalf also suggested bringing someone else along. He'd vaguely mentioned this person, only said that he'd have a great advantage against Smaug. After my cousin refused his help on the quest, I figured we could use as many willing hands we could get. I was still skeptical though. The Wizard didn't even give a name, or say how his "abilities" would give him more advantage than us. He spoke with such a mysterious tone, I had an instinct that this would not go well. I guess I'd find out once I'd gotten there.

Hold on. I turned around and did a double take. The door. There was a mark on it. Gandalf's mark. Finally! As I approached the door, I could hear them. The cheery voices of my company singing, and the great stomps of their boots dancing on the floor. I loudly knocked on the door, then turned around and took in my surroundings. The Shire really was a peaceful place. It only made me want to reach the mountain even more. I hadn't felt peace since the day Smaug took Erebor, since the day the damned beast took everything from me. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I almost didn't hear the door open.

"Gandalf." I smirked. "I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. Wouldn't have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door." As I was putting up my fur coat, I could hear a squeaky voice going on about his painted door. That must have been the burglar. When I turned around, I saw him.

The Hobbit really didn't look like much. He looked about the average size, with curly, honey brown hair, dark eyes, and big hairy feet. I prevented myself from rolling my eyes at the sight of how scrawny he was. This creature was supposed to steal from a dragon? What was the Wizard thinking? He couldn't fight, I could tell by the mere sight of him. This Hobbit looked like he'd never even stepped out of his door before. He wouldn't go with us. I knew he wouldn't. Gandalf introduced us, but I knew it was a lost cause. I hid my anger at the fact that this whole introduction would be a waste of time.

"So, this is the Hobbit. Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?" I asked. I circled the Hobbit, hiding my smirk as I did so.

"Pardon me?" he asked nervously.

"Axe or sword? What is your weapon of choice?"

"Well, I do have some skill at Conkers, if you must know. But I fail to see why that's relevant." Mr. Baggins said, still breathing in deeply. Did my presence really make him that nervous? This time, I did not hide my smirk.

"Thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar." My company chuckled at my comment, and I made my way into the dining room. Already sitting at the table, to my surprise, was a small figure with their hood up.

This must have been the other person. I didn't understand why he had his hood up. What did he have to hide? "Hello, my dear. I apologize, we didn't hear you come in." I heard Gandalf coming in behind me.

"You never do." a sweet voice replied.

I widened my eyes. A woman! I narrowed my eyes at Gandalf. "You invited a woman to join us?" I hissed.