Chapter 2

The meeting went well, for the most part. Gandalf had given me the key to a hidden door to Erebor, and I was able to feel my breath hitch at the sight of the family heirloom. There was hope. We would get into the mountain, eventually, and we would take our home back.

On the other hand, our supposed "burglar" didn't seem to take it all in. When he was told a small part of what he'd be facing, he fainted right in the middle of the hallway. I should have expected this. This Hobbit was too soft to take on this kind of task. I could faintly hear him and Gandalf conversing in his study. When Balin and I saw him walking out, I knew that he'd refused to sign the contract.

"It appears that we have lost our burglar. Probably for the best. The odds were always against us. After all, what are we? Merchants, miners, tinkers, toy-makers; hardly the stuff of legend." Balin said.

I raised my eyebrows and gave him a slight smile. "There are a few warriors amongst us."

My old friend sighed. "Old warriors."

"I would take each and every one of these Dwarves over an army of the Iron Hills. For when I called upon them, they answered. Loyalty. Honor. A willing heart. I can ask for no more than that."

Balin smiled at me, but then it faded. "You don't have to do this. You have a choice. You've done honorably by our people. You have built a new life for us in the Blue Mountains, a life of peace and plenty. A life that is worth more than all the gold in Erebor."

I knew what he was trying to say, but I couldn't do it. Erebor was my home. It was the home of my people. If I could see them back in our mountain once more, then it would be done. "From my grandfather to my father, this has come to me. They dreamt of the day when the Dwarves of Erebor would reclaim their homeland. There is no choice, Balin. Not for me."

Balin sighed, knowing that he'd been defeated. "Then we are with you, laddie. We will see it done." he smiled.

It looked like Balin was about to walk away when Dwalin joined us. "It's back." he told me gravely. I could feel my anger returning.

"Send her away. Throw her out the door if you have to." I commanded.

"Hold on now." Balin's voice stopped Dwalin from walking away. "I don't believe we should send the lass away."

My eyes widened. "What?"

"You heard me, laddie. I think she should come with us. If she is who she says she is, then she could be valuable."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I didn't care if she was the most valuable Elf in all of Middle Earth. I would not have that little animal be a part of my company. "She's a traitor. Nothing more. She needs to go." Dwalin growled.

"How do you know, brother? Have you ever spoken to her before?"

"Have you?" Dwalin retorted. Balin said nothing, but I could've sworn that I saw a twinkle in his eye. What was he hinting at? "I don't believe a word she says, no matter what the lads say. Someone that small and petite could never kill an Orc. Besides, she looks more like a pixie than an Elf." Dwalin growled.

I started at this. She claimed that she'd managed to take out an Orc before she reached maturity. Maturity? That meant she was fully grown. How could that be? It was obvious that she wasn't a child anymore, anyone could tell by her face. It was fully developed, and her voice was not that of an Elfling. I did not understand how she could be as small as she is and yet still be an Elf. "Perhaps she is not a pure-blooded Elf." I suggested.

"Yes I am."

I turned my head and narrowed my eyes. How long had she been standing there? "Get out. This is none of your business, Elf." I spat.

"If you are discussing me, then it is my business." she calmly said.

I hated how calm she was. What I hated most was that she still wouldn't look at me. Weren't Elves supposed to be confident? If anything, I would have expected her to meet my eyes in an attempt to burn a hole in me. "I'm sorry, lassie. We didn't mean-" Balin started.

"It's alright, good sir. You were just saying what you were thinking. Pixie. Imp. Runt. That's all people can think about when they're around me." she said with a sad smile. Balin's look of sympathy faded into one of what looked like realization. "Excuse me." she politely said, and walked out of the hall.

I looked back at my old friend. "What was that about?"

He gave me a look. "She's coming with us, and that will be the end of it." he said quickly.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why have you suddenly changed your mind? Don't tell me it's because you feel pity for her."

"No. It's probably nothing, but I have a feeling about this. You must trust me on this, Thorin."

I have never had a reason to distrust my friend, but I was still extremely skeptical. "What is it you see about her?" I had to ask.

Balin gave me a sad smile. "She reminds me of someone I used to know." And with that, he walked away.

Shaking off what Balin had just said, I made my way to the fireplace. If I looked hard enough, I thought I could see Erebor in the flames. I could see the magnificent halls. I could see my brother laughing at my father's jokes. I could see Dis running around in search of sweets. I could see the times that were long gone, and memories that I would give anything to live again. And then I began to sing.

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day,

To claim our long-forgotten gold.
The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light.

I could feel my emotions building up as I heard my company singing along with me. When the song ended, I turned around to see the Elf laying in the Hobbit's armchair, staring at the flames. However, when she caught me looking at her, she immediately turned around. I did not understand. Why would she never completely look at me? What did she not want me to see? She was hiding something, that was clear to me. But what? I'd already exposed her for what she was, she had nothing left to hide. I fell asleep that night determined to figure it out. I was going to find out who this...Waterdancer really was.