Chapter 16

We left that peaceful place in the forest a few days ago. Azog and his pack of Orcs were getting closer to us. I sent Master Baggins to scout ahead, since he was the most quiet. I could see Nemirien pacing around, worried for her friend.

I could happily say that our relationship had improved a little for the past couple of days. Nemirien didn't seem as afraid to approach me, and we had conversations while on watch every night. I was also aware of giving her space whenever she needed it. I was getting to know her. She really didn't seem to have changed too much. Nemirien was still playful, gentle, and sweet. There was something off though. She wasn't as lively as she used to be. She was almost...desolate.

"Relax, Nemirien. He'll be fine." I said. She met my eyes briefly, but it didn't seem to settle her down. She told me a little about her relationship with our Hobbit. They'd gotten along quickly because, to my shame, they were the different ones in the company. The Elf who no one wanted around, and the Hobbit who no one had faith in. It caused me to go through yet another series of apologies, which she actually tried to stop.

Nemirien reminded me that I'd already apologized for everything that I said to her on the journey, though she did scold me a little for not being able to recognize her sooner. I was happy that she'd found such a good friend in Master Baggins. He was the only one who never judged her for what she was.

The little Elf's pacing finally stopped when Master Baggins came running towards us. "How close is the pack?" I asked.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that's not the worst of it." he said.

"Have the Wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin asked.

"Not yet, but they will. We have another problem."

"Did they see you? They saw you!" Gandalf said.

"No, that's not it." the Hobbit was beginning to look flustered.

"What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material!" The company began to chuckle at the Wizard's remark.

"Will you just listen? I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there!" Master Baggins exclaimed. The company was quiet at that.

"What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf asked. I blinked. Did he know about this?

"Y-yes, but bigger, much bigger." Master Baggins answered.

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur asked the Wizard. "I say we double back."

"And be run down by a pack of Orcs?" I challenged.

"There is a house. It's not far from here, where we might take refuge." Gandalf said.

I was skeptical about this. "Whose house? And are they friend or foe?" I asked.

"He's neither." I turned my head towards Nemirien, who looked like she was quickly forming a plan. "He will help us or he will kill us." I was about to ask her what she meant when I heard the roaring of the creature.

"What choice do we have?" I asked Gandalf. He looked at me gravely.

"None."

Once again, we were on the run. I could hear the animalistic noises of the Wargs from one direction and the bear in the other. After what seemed like miles, we came into a clearing and I spotted what looked like an entrance to a large farm. I looked behind me to see a giant bear jump out of the bushes and run towards us.

When we finally reached the house, the company was gathering around the entrance. "Open the door!" Gandalf shouted. I made my way through everyone and jumped up to raise the bolt, and unlock the door.