Chapter 8

"Where are you leading us?" We'd been running for miles now. We were now in an open area, with few large masses of rock to hide behind. Occasionally, we would spot the brown Wizard on his sled and the Waterdancer on her Warg. It took me a little while to realize I didn't even know where we were going. I glared at Gandalf when he ignored me and continued to move on.

We hid behind another rock when we heard an Orc riding right above us. I slowly turned my head towards Kili and nodded towards his bow. Before he could shoot it, however, something had already taken it down.

They landed a couple of meters in front of us. The Waterdancer was immediately on her feet with her spear at the ready. Kili automatically shot an arrow, killing the Warg. As the Orc got up, it didn't even pay us any mind. It was looking at the Elf, staring at her with what almost looked like realization. The Orc shouted something in Black Speech before charging at her: "Water's Daughter!"

The second I saw the Elf twirling her spear, I knew the story about her killing an Orc was true. She really was an amazing fighter. She twirled her spear with lightning speed and moved so fluidly as she did. The Waterdancer had obviously worked to make her small size an advantage in a fight. She managed to even climb onto the Orc a few times, but unfortunately was unable to get in a good stab due to the length of her spear. The filth she was fighting screamed out that name once again, alerting the others.

They knew her. But how? I wasn't able to think about it because another Orc had approached. The creature dismounted its Warg, and slowly snuck up behind the Waterdancer. She didn't see it coming. "Waterdancer!" Kili shouted. She didn't seem to hear him, and she was still fighting the first Orc. She was strong, but being so small, she didn't have as much strength as a creature more than five times her size. If she didn't have speed, she'd be dead.

"Pixie, behind you!" Dwalin angrily roared. It still didn't seem to get through to her. It was coming. The Orc was raising its axe to her back as she finally stabbed the first Orc in the stomach. Then I hear the Hobbit shout. It was the loudest that I'd ever heard him speak, and what he said made my heart stop.

"NEMIRIEN!"

No. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't her. It had to be someone else. She wasn't here. She was far away from this place. She was at her home. The effort of convincing myself was useless because of what she did next. As the axe came down on her, the Waterdancer appeared to dissipate into thin air. I blinked, only to see the space where she once was becoming...wavy. She was still there. And she had become water. The Waterdancer twirled her body out of the axe, and the next thing I knew, she was back to human form, driving her spear into the Orc's back. The creature fell down dead, and then she stood up, staring at us.

I found the Waterdancer looking at me for the first time, and then I saw them. I could see them from all the way over here. Those eyes. Those dark purple eyes. It was her. Trying to get over the shock, I mentally scolded myself. Of course it was her! Her mere presence just screamed it out! How had I not recognized her? She had the exact same golden, wavy locks, the same dark ivory skin, and now that I think about it, even her sweet voice sounded equivalent! How had I been so blind, deaf, and dumb? I stared at her with wide eyes. Oh Mahal, what have I done?

"Lavanith!" she yelled, and within seconds, the Warg came running towards her. She jumped on her back, and continued to do what she promised. I didn't want her to go. I wanted to call her name, and make her stay with us. Now, I could only pray that she would stay safe.

We were running again shortly after the Wa-...she took off. We were back out in the open, and the Orcs and Wargs were closing in on us. "There's more coming!" my nephew shouted.

"Kili! Shoot them!" I bellowed.

"We're surrounded!" Fili yelled. I could see her in the distance. She was on her Warg, slashing at Orcs with her spear. I drew my own sword with determination.

"Hold your ground!" I roared. When they continued to close in, the Wizard suddenly reappeared.

"This way, you fools!" he shouted.

Gandalf was directing everyone behind a large mass of rock, and while I was making sure everyone was coming, I looked ahead. Where was she? Was she coming? "Thorin, come on!" That was Dwalin. I couldn't do it. I couldn't go knowing that she was still out there. She was still fighting them off. I took a step forward when I felt someone grab my ankle.

I fell down into the cave, with Dwalin on Dori's shoulders, looking down at me. I quickly got up and looked into the opening. I couldn't see her. I then heard the sound of horns blowing. I moved back as an Orc fell down the cave. Gandalf poked it to make sure it was dead. I pulled the arrow out, and I knew exactly where it came from. "Elves." I muttered, throwing the arrow down onto the ground.

"I can't see where the pathway leads. Do we follow it or no?" Dwalin asked.

"Follow it of course!" Bofur said.

"I think that would be wise." Gandalf commented.

"I'm not going anywhere!" I snapped.

The Wizard turned around. "Do not worry about her, Thorin. She will meet us." he said, and began to follow the path. I decided I would deal with the Wizard's knowledge of her identity later. Right now, I just needed to keep moving. I had to see her. I had to tell her everything. I still couldn't believe she was here. Nemirien.