Chapter 27

We were all gathered outside the gates of Erebor, and I could spot the shadow of the winged serpent in the sky. There was nothing we could do, except watch. My eyes grew wider as Smaug flew closer to Laketown.

I looked over at Nemirien, who was staring at the town with wide eyes and breathing deeply in anticipation. The others could hardly tear their gaze away from the town, they only occasionally looked at each other with fear and sorrow.

He was there. I could see Smaug flying right over Laketown, beginning to dive down towards its people. That was when I rushed over to Nemirien and grabbed her waist. The little Elf gasped and whimpered as I held her against me and turned her head away from the town. "Don't look. Do you understand me? You look away." I told her firmly. Nemirien only whimpered in response as I saw the first spark of light come upon the town.

"Poor souls." Balin lamented. Even from here, I could hear the frightened screams of the townspeople, who were completely helpless. Occasionally, Nemirien would try resisting me whenever the screams got exceptionally loud. No. I refused to let her see this. I wasn't there for her the whole time when Smaug first came. She saw things back then, things that no little girl should have to see. I wouldn't let that happen now. I would not allow her to look upon the horrors of Smaug again, not when I could shield her eyes.

It seemed to never end. The entire town was lit, and many of the screams had begun to die down. That was when we heard the echoes of a crashing noise. "What was that? What happened?" Oin asked.

"It fell. I saw it." Bilbo said. I looked into the distance. I could no longer see the dragon in the sky. "It's dead. Smaug is dead." Bilbo told us.

"By my beard, I think he's right. Look there! The ravens of Erebor are returning to the mountain!" Gloin exclaimed.

"Aye, word will spread. Before long every soul in Middle Earth will know: the dragon is dead!" Balin declared. My company began to laugh and cheer at the news. Smaug was dead. Erebor was ours.

Once we'd gotten back inside, I sent everyone around to check our supplies, including food and places to sleep. I saw Bilbo beginning to place what remaining food and tools we carried with us on the table. But there was someone missing.

"Bilbo, where's Nemirien? I thought she was with you." I said. Bilbo looked up at me and furrowed his eyebrows a little.

"I thought I saw her wandering around a little while ago. She hasn't come back?" he asked. I checked my surroundings and narrowed my eyes.

"Do you know which way she went?" I asked.

"Last time I saw her, she was heading into the eastern part of the mountain." Bilbo told me.

The East. I widened my eyes in realization, and headed up the stairs. I checked nearly all the rooms that were still intact, any place I could think of in the East Wing that she knew. I finally turned around the corner and spotted her by a certain window.

Of course. This was where I found her the day the dragon attacked Erebor. This was the place I would meet her whenever we would go play outside. I approached the little Elf slowly, who appeared to be lost in thought. Then I saw what she was looking at.

Nemirien was standing in the middle of a circle of water glasses. The glasses were broken, chipped, and covered in dust and ash. Then I remembered. I remember rushing in to find a ten-year old Elf trying to use her barely developed water abilities to save my people. I remember the countless tears that trailed down her chubby cheeks and the sound of her sobs that made me feel like a knife was piercing my heart.

The little Elf had bent down and reached to pick up one of the glasses. It shattered in her hand instantly, and Nemirien gasped as the broken glass had left numerous cuts on her hand. I rushed over and took her hand in mine. Nemirien's palm was running with multiple streams of blood from the many slits in her skin. I ripped a piece of cloth from my sleeve and gently wrapped Nemirien's hand. She didn't look up at me. She didn't acknowledge my presence, she didn't even seem to take notice of her fresh injury.

"Nemirien." I tried. The little Elf's face was completely blank. "Nemirien, talk to me. Are you alright? Your hand, does it hurt? Say something." I said worriedly. The little Elf whispered something inaudible. "What?" I asked.

"I remember the fire. It glowed so bright and felt so hot. I remember it licking the walls as if they were made of sugar, do you remember?" she said numbly. I widened my eyes at what she said. I had always hoped that she wouldn't remember that day so vividly. I began to worry even more when she didn't seem to come out of her trance. It was almost as if she were talking more to herself than to me.

"I remember. Listen, why don't we go back and join the others?" I asked, hoping to get her away from the memories that were plaguing her mind.

"I watched them burn." she said with that same desensitized tone. That made my blood turn to ice.

"What?" I choked.

"I watched them burn. I saw their skin melt and turn to ash. I heard them screaming. They were so scared and agonized, and I remember wishing that I was deaf so I couldn't hear them. I know what they were feeling, now that I've had my own face burned off-"

"Stop!" I said firmly, and I had even begun to shake her a little. "Stop. Please." I begged. Nemirien blinked, but she still didn't seem to be all here.

"I couldn't save them." I let out a dry sob when I heard her say that, and I shook my head.

"Shh. Don't think about that. There was nothing you could have done."

The little Elf finally looked me in the eye and I saw tears rolling down her empty face. "I couldn't save them. I tried, Thorin. I tried. I t-t-" I couldn't take it anymore. I took her small body into my arms, and I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Shh. Come back, Nemirien. Just let go of it all." The little Elf had finally started to move, and she looked up at me. She blinked a couple of times before I saw that familiar light returning to her eyes. Silent tears continued to flow as she buried her face in my shoulder. I managed to pick Nemirien up and finally carry her away from this grief-stricken place.

I walked all the way down the halls and opened the door to one of the bedrooms. The room was a little dusty from being uninhabited for so long, but it had not been damaged from the dragon fire. It was the bedroom that was given to Nemirien whenever she would come to visit.

I put Nemirien down, and I replaced the sheets and blankets on the bed. I plumped up the pillows before gathering her up in my hold again and settling her down on the bed. Hushed tears still crept out of her eyelids, and I got onto the bed and put my arms around her once more, settling her head on my chest.

"I'm here, my sweet. I'm here." I whispered. Nemirien looked up at me, and took deep breaths.

"Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?" she asked. I held her tightly and kissed the top of her head.

"Of course I will." I told her. "Don't you worry. I know the memories hurt, but things will turn around. It'll be alright." Nemirien gave a small smile and wrapped an arm tightly around my middle before closing her eyes. Then I stroked her hair, and began to hum a tune. It was always my voice that could soothe Nemirien, no matter what. I let my deep vocals lull her to sleep, the way they did so long ago. Tomorrow would be better. Tomorrow would begin a new day, with no dragons, no fires, and no grief.