Chapter 12

We had to leave. I'd just shown Lord Elrond the map of Erebor. It revealed that we have until Durin's Day to find the hidden door. We had time, but not much. We had to make as much good time as we possibly could. I was anxious to get back on the road, especially since the Elves would try to keep us from leaving now that they knew about our quest.

I was waking everyone who was asleep before I finally made my way to the door to Nemirien's bedroom. I still hadn't gotten the chance to speak with her. Gandalf came to take me to Lord Elrond as I was looking for her room. I couldn't speak to her now. We had to leave. But when was I supposed to say what I wanted to say? I took a deep breath, and knocked on her door.

My breath hitched when she looked up at me. I didn't know what to say. I wanted to profusely apologize to her, but now wasn't the time. We needed to move. My thoughts were interrupted when Nemirien cleared her throat. I blinked and looked at her expecting face. "I came to inform you that we are leaving. I expect that the Elves will soon keep us from continuing the quest." I told her. Nemirien gave a slight nod, and then slowly closed her door. I closed my eyes and lingered at her door for a little bit. "I'm sorry." I whispered. "I'm so sorry."

We were packed and out of Rivendell in less than half an hour. Gandalf had stayed behind to stall while we left. He planned on joining us in the Misty Mountains. "Be on your guard, we're about to step over the edge of the Wild. Balin, you know these paths, lead on." I said. As the company walked on, I could see the Hobbit's gaze lingering on the Elven city. "Master Baggins, I suggest you keep up." I growled. Nemirien came up from behind the Hobbit and put a hand on his shoulder. My expression softened as the two of them passed me. Tonight. Tonight, I would do it. I had to. This was my chance, maybe my only chance to get her back.

...

It was one of the most aggressive storms I'd ever seen. We were making our way across the Misty Mountains when the storm hit us. The wind was blowing against us, harshly whipping the rain with it. I could barely keep my eyes open. "Hold on!" I shouted. I could hear parts of the mountain give way as I walked. "We must find shelter!" I roared. If we couldn't find safety from the storm, we would all surely die.

"Look out!" Dwalin yelled. I looked where he was pointing to see a giant boulder flying right towards us.

"This is no thunderstorm, it's a thunder battle!" Balin shouted. "Look!" I saw a part of the mountain taking the form of a person, and it was ripping off parts of the mountain without a problem.

"Well bless me, the legends are true! Giants! Stone Giants!" Bofur cried. The Stone Giant took the boulder and threw it right towards us.

"Take cover, you'll fall!" I shouted.

Suddenly, I could feel the ground beneath me vibrating. I looked behind me to see that the ground was splitting in two. We were standing on what served for legs for another Stone Giant! Half of my company was separated. Luckily, we didn't move very much, and we were able to get onto another ledge to safety. However, the other half wasn't so lucky. They were caught in the midst of the battle between two Stone Giants! The giant the company was on had its head get hit by a boulder, causing it to fall. Even from here, I could see the frightened face of my nephew as they crashed into the mountainside.

"NO! FILI!" I cried. I couldn't lose him. He was some of the only family I had left. Once the remains of the Stone Giant fell into the abyss, I ran as fast as I could across the ledge, and let out a sigh of relief. I was making my way towards Kili when I heard Bofur shout.

"Where's Bilbo? Where's our Hobbit?" I looked over to see that he was hanging on the edge of the mountain, trying not to fall to his death.

"Get him!" Dwalin roared. I saw Ori dive for him, but that only caused the Hobbit to slip even more. Bofur and Ori were reaching out their hands, but the Hobbit's arms were too short for him to reach.

As I was about to climb down to save him, I saw a huge mass of water trickling down the mountain. The mass turned out to be Nemirien, who'd come down to pull Bilbo up towards the Dwarves, displaying that she was much stronger than she looked. As Nemirien made her way back up, however, she lost her footing and began to fall.

"No!" My reflexes reacted immediately, and I managed to grab her arm before she could fall to her death. It didn't take too much effort to pull her up. She wasn't too much heavier than when she was little. Nemirien looked up at me with shocked eyes as I hoisted her back to safety.

I kept my grip on her arm for a little longer than I should have. It took everything in me not to yank her into my arms and never let her go again. "Th-thank you." she stuttered. I looked at her with worry evident in my eyes. But the way she thanked me, it hurt. It sounded like me saving her was the last thing she would expect to happen.

"I thought we lost our burglar!" Dwalin breathed. My thoughts turned away from Nemirien, and to the Hobbit, who nearly got himself killed again.

"He's been lost ever since he left home. He should never have come. He has no place amongst us." I sneered. I've had enough with this homegrown creature. Why did he even come if he knew he couldn't handle it? Now we were all stuck with him.

"How do you know? You've never given him a chance!" I blinked. I looked down to see Nemirien glaring at me.

"He's come close to death multiple times, and he nearly caused your own death!" I argued.

"That was my decision! I knew what could have happened if I went down there. Honestly, Thorin, I'm not a child!"

I widened my eyes. "I will not let you hurt yourself for the sake of him!" I pointed at the Hobbit furiously.

Nemirien scoffed. "Why? Why would you worry yourself over a filthy Elemental?" she spat. "The only reason you seemed to have "changed", if only a little, is because you learned my name! THAT'S ALL YOU KNOW! YOU DON'T KNOW ME!" she screamed over the storm.

I took a step back, my eyes wide with anger and shock. I quickly turned my head before I could shout anything I would regret. "Dwalin!" I called my friend over to inspect a nearby cave. The company made their way in.

"It looks safe enough." Dwalin commented.

"Search the back, caves in the mountains are seldom unoccupied." I told him. After a brief search, Dwalin announced that there was nothing there. Gloin set a pile of wood on the ground.

"Right, then. Let's get a fire started." "No, no fires, not in this place." I stopped him. "Get some sleep, we start at first light."

Balin furrowed his eyebrows at me. "We were to wait in the mountains until Gandalf joined us. That was the plan." he insisted.

"Plans change." I reminded him. "Bofur, take the first watch." The hatted Dwarf looked reluctant, but found a comfortable place to sit anyway.

I had a difficult time falling asleep. I'd only dug a deeper hole for myself today. That was the first time Nemirien had ever glared at me or shouted at me. Maybe I shouldn't have lashed out at the Hobbit. I knew that she'd grown close to him on the journey. But why couldn't she see that I was only concerned for her well-being? Honestly, Thorin, I'm not a child! I squeezed my eyes shut. To me, she was a child. She was one hundred eighty years old, she was practically a newborn baby by Elf standards. Nemirien will always be that little Elf I once knew. And a part of that child was still there. I knew there was. There had to be.

But then, she used my own words against me. A filthy Elemental. Why did I even say that in the first place? I had never even thought of her like that before! Ever. The fact that Nemirien was an Elemental had never bothered me. She never used it to be violent and her intentions with her abilities were always good. I didn't mean it then, and I still don't. It must have been one more insult I could have hurled at her to send her away. Or, at least that's what I've been telling myself at night.

Nemirien was right about one thing though. I didn't know her. Would I have changed my opinion of her if she wasn't who she was? I was ashamed to say that I wouldn't have. The only thing I really knew about her was her name. I could make all the assumptions that I wanted about how she was then and how she is now, but the only way I'd truly know was if I asked her. I wanted to get to know Nemirien. I finally managed to close my eyes and keep them closed. I will get her back. She has to know. She has to know that I still love her, as if she were my own flesh and blood.